Upholstery Tool Source

hddennis

Thanks for passing this along. I'm learning how to upholster my cars - it's a humbling experience. The first thing I quickly learned is that you need to buy quality tools - cheap tools are worse than no tool at all. 

A salute to all the trimmers out there who pass along their expertise to us "rippers."

P.S. I have also found good prices and invaluable videos at sailrite.com

Those are really good prices, and if you're doing early upholstery, those two punches are "need to have" tools.  And amen on the good tools, I know some of the interior kits sold have hog rings and hog ring pliers included, for example.  Buy a good pair of hog ring pliers and throw those things away.....

A little learning and a whole lot of patience, and you too can be a trimmer!

9 minutes ago, trimacar said:

amen on the good tools, I know some of the interior kits sold have hog rings and hog ring pliers included, for example.  Buy a good pair of hog ring pliers and throw those things away.....

I totally agree, I bought good hog ring pliers early and also a pair of hog ring cutters.  When friends have asked for upholstery help they are very surprised at the great difference, especially the cutters.  You would not immediately think of it but real hog ring cutters are far better than regular diagonal pliers for the job and really save your hands, Todd C

While we are talking common sense fasteners, does anyone know the size wood screw normally used to hold these on bodies and/or top bows? I'd like to order a box in stainless steel as I'm afraid brass or modern made steel ones are too likely to shear off.

Howard Dennis

I believe the common sense (Murphy style) fastener uses a #6 screw.  Brass and steel work fine, and usually only fail upon installation, when trying to use a too long screw or a screw into a hole that's old hard wood.  They'll break off from excessive torque.  Once they're in, they rarely if ever shear from loads put on them by tops or curtains.

I usually predrill if the hole seems small, have also used toothpicks to add wood when hole too big.