Power windows stopped working

drummerboy

Hello all

The power windows in my 71 have ceased to operate.  None of the switches operate the windows.  Here’s what I’ve tried:

Checked fuses – all look OK

Took out the drivers armrest controls (seat, mirror, windows).  Blew dust out, all wires are connected.

Cleaned up terminals on some relays and blew dust out of connectors. (see first pic)  Not sure if these are the power window relay mentioned in the owner’s manual.  If not can someone steer me in the right direction?

I’m unsure of the condition of the 40 amp ciruit breaker in second pic.  The power seat still works so I think it is OK(?)

I don’t know what else to check...help please?

DSC02281.JPGIMG.jpg

First of all take a test light and verify power on both sides of the circuit breaker. If you have power there, there is a power window relay that the circuit breaker feeds that could have gone bad. I don't know where it is located, perhaps a chassis manual will tell you the location. Coming out of the relay and headed to the driver's door should be a red wire with white stripe. If that has 12 volts leaving the relay,                 You need to remove the switches from the door panel and verify power to the master switch on the driver's door with the key on. A test light is the easiest tool to use for this. If the switch assembly has no power at any of the wires on the plug, I would highly

suspect that you have a broken wire inside the boot where the harness goes from the cowl to the door. This is a very common problem

on old cars with power windows. Decades of flexing when the door is open and closed will result in one or more wires breaking in two.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the late follow up...recently purchased an El Camino and have been sorting that out.  Power to both sides of circuit breaker OK.  Finally found the relay on the A pillar near the fuse box.  Bypassed the relay with a jumper and viola...Relay gone bad,  Part number 9831949 in case any one is interested.  Ordered one from E(vil)Bay and will arrive later this month.  Will update once installed.   BTW these relays seem to be a rare commodity.

• 1 month later...