shock absorber oil

HI Nez, not really my field of expertize, but Bill Uhouse did come up with some kind of magic potion that is aupposed to do this job, couldn't get the posts to go back far enough, but I know he did address the question, good luck,

Ok Guy's here is what I did on the Houdale shocks, but first remember that all shocks are basically hydraulically operated, wether by air or oil.I took some of the oil from the shocks and had it analyzed, just a spectrum analysis by a friend of mine who works for the GOV.and it turned out to be the basic hydraulic oil used in jacks, however the original oil contained a parafin base, like many oils back in the pre-war day's. We compared it to the normal hydraulic oil used in jacks and the only difference is no parafin,but has some deteregent.The benifits using jack oil is that the viscosity does not vary like the parafin oils. So just get some good jack oil.<P>BILL

Hello: If your shocks are the Houdaille rotary hydraulic type the correct fluid originally used was glycerine base stock, not mineral base. You will find the only solvent to clean it with is alcohol. By this date the glycerine will be congealed to a gooey mess and all check valves will be hopelessly gummed up. If you can successfully clean the old fluid out you could use Mobil One Synthetic Oil which has the most temperature stable viscosity range for this application. I did that on a 1933 Studebaker race car I did restoration work on and it performed well afterward.<BR>Unfortunately by this date several well thinking unknowledgable mechanics may have added mineral base "Jack" oil to top them off and you now have a real sticky milkshake inside that no solvent alcohol or mineral spirit will touch.

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed that Kanter Obsolete Auto Products has Delco shock absorber fluid, 11oz. for $10 listed on there web site.<BR>Would this be OK?<BR>Thanks,<BR>Don

• 9 years later...