Control arm bumper

flh73

If the height is the ONLY difference, I wouldn't even bother modifying it for 1/4 and install as-is. The originals are probably shrunk at least 1/8" anyway.

Being on the upper control arm they are not plainly visible and as far as function these make contact when the suspension is fully extended which doesn't happen when driving unless you are playing Dukes of Hazzard or jacking up the car by the frame. 1/4" won't make any difference on this bumper.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

If the 63-64 upper controls are similar to my 65 then that means the attachment point is also different. The rubber bumper in the link looks round as does the mounting tab/nipple that pushes thru the control arm. My 65 rubber bumper is rectangular as is the mounting tab/nipple. I am anal, I would buy the right bumpers (that's just me tho)

With that said, installation was hell. I tried multiple times with different ideas & the SOB would not push thru the hole in the control arm :angry:. I even ended up tearing a chunk out of one rubber bumper trying to pull it thru :angry:. Just as I was getting ready to throw the damn rubber bumper in the trash a co-worker walked up & blew my mind with his simple idea that worked like a charm. It may be hard to explain but u guys probably already know the trick & I'm just wasting your time haha.

My buddy looped a thick string around the tab/nipple of the rubber bumper & fed the string thru the hole in the control arm in the same direction that u would install the bumper. Then as I held/pushed the bumper to the underside of the control arm as he began to slowly pull/work the string. As he pulled/worked the string out past the rubber & thru the hole the frigin' rubber bumper followed. This wasn't as easy as it sounds, there is obviously a bit of resistance that u have to overcome. But the damn bumper seemed to fall right into place as he pulled the string thru. Blew my mind, I called it magic haha it looked cool. But I am easily entertained haha

I ordered the ones listed for the Rivera.  I Then removed mine and realized mine are round cone shaped not the one with the slot but have a hole in the control arm.  I'm sure this area has not been tampered with.  For some reason mine are from the big buicks listed with cone.  I'm going to have CARs measure the ones for the 57-60 and see what they measure.   Same part number but with a 1 at the end versus a 2. Probably the same if so I will simply use these. I'm thinking Buick may have used a different upper control arm on my car. One of those "these will work" when they ran low on parts. type of things, maybe.