Starting procedure 1924 model 35

Guest deepellum3

Guest deepellum3

Hi. Just purchased a beautiful 1924 model 35. 

The original owner passed away 8 years ago and the son did not really know the procedure to start the car. I know about the spark advance? On the steering wheel. Also the knob on the dash I believe to be basically an on/ off pull knob. 

I certainly would appreciate any advice. 

Thanks, Robert

Guest deepellum3

Wow. Great video! My other issue is we have the, forgive me I don't know exactly what it's called, ignition advance lever on the steering wheel. I have had old cars in the past. This is my first in the 20's. 

Im not sure where to put the ignition advance lever on the steering wheel to get it to start. 

Thank you

If you are using the starter motor it dosn`t matter what possision you have the lever,but if you are using the hand crank you have to put the lever in retard possision,in that case it will fire 7 degrees after the pistons are on top.(If you are sending me your e-mail address I will send you a PDF-file on 1924 4 cyl.referens book.about 5Mb.)

Leif in Sweden.

On my 1923 6 cylinder, I have found the choke only necessay when the engine is cold and that it is so effective, you need to move it from full choke to 1/2 choke as soon as it 'barks'.  Leaving it on full only floods the engine and you will not start.

Agree with Leif (as always), the spark is only retarded for hand starting.

Using the choke in any manner on a warm or hot engine is a certain 'no start' flooding.

Edited by Brian_Heil (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 0:08 PM, Leif Holmberg said:

If you are using the starter motor it dosn`t matter what possision you have the lever,but if you are using the hand crank you have to put the lever in retard possision,in that case it will fire 7 degrees after the pistons are on top.(If you are sending me your e-mail address I will send you a PDF-file on 1924 4 cyl.referens book.about 5Mb.)

Leif in Sweden.

Leif,

Not sure about your car, but I retard mine every time I use the starter to prevent backfiring against the starter and breaking something.

The lever on the left is for spark timing. Move it all the way up to retard, then swing it down once started.

Leif,

You warn to retard the spark when hand cranking. I assume your intention is to prevent a backfire from kicking the crank back and hurting someone. How is it that the engine would be less likely to backfire when advanced and using the starter motor? I am not trying to start an argument or to be contrary. I am really wanting to know if there is something in the starter circuit that prevents this.

Jerry .You have to retard the level when hand cranking the engine,that meens that the pistons get the fire 7 degrees after the top,and are on the way down.In that case you don`t get a "back fire" just becuse the piston are going down.The opposite way on the level is that the fire is about 15 degees before the top possision of the piston.But as I told you before you can start the car in any possision of the level without any problem.

I have had my 3 Buicks between 10-45 years now and never had any problem whatever the level stands.

Leif in Sweden.