1940 Studebaker paint

I am starting to get ready to put parts of my car back together after working on the mechanical parts. While I am a ways away from painting the body there are some parts of the car that I will be painting/powder coating now and I am trying to get some guidance on what it used to look like prior to doing so.

I've found several different sources for body paint such as http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...r=1940&rows=50 

I am leaning towards the Colleen Dark Green. From what I understand the running boards are body color (or fender for two tone) and then rubber matting is applied. The frame, tie rods, etc I plan on doing just simple black.

What color would the wheels have been?
What about the engine bay? Was that body color as well?
Any other paint details that I didn't ask about?

The engine and trans used to be the engine green offered for that era. I am thinking this might look odd with the Dark Green. Trying to decide if I go with the green or some other color such as grey.

Thanks in advance for any help!

You did not say what model your '40 is. Presidents and Commanders used different colors than the Champions. However you did mention it had running boards so it has to be Commander or President. Colleen Green was a Commander/President color only. The firewall and engine side panels were body color. Since the running boards are full covered they are unpainted (except the underside which is black). Note in the Spring they came out with some new colors and two-toning like the sample attached. These cars were referred to as DeLux-Tone models. Not sure of the wheel colr on Colleen Green cars but all wheels had three stripes in a contrasting color. 

post-76185-0-48807400-1457172304_thumb.j

Edited by studeq (see edit history)

On the predeluxe tone models many of them used two colors. The highlighting color was limited to the window reveals, the wheels and the inside of the trunk lid. You can see this on the early 1940 sales literature. My 1940 came new with two tones of grey. My dupont paint chart for 1940 says for colleen green light metalic/ colleen green dark metalic the light green was on the body and fenders and the dark  green was on the window reveals.  There is an interesting disclaimer at the top of this sheet, "This bulletin is not for cars assembled in Los Angeles." They must have used slightly different paint in California.

Your engine should be the green as supplied by many of our suppliers and is green. I feel like you want to keep the car correct as possible and to paint the engine other than the original green might be regretted latter. Plus you will  open yourself to those who feel it's their duty to show the error of your ways.  Best of wishes. Commander Dave

• 6 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an older topic but trying to get the correct colors on the car.

Studeq any chance you can post a picture of the engine?  Is yours considered original colors?  I was curious what color all the extra bolt on parts are like pullys, fan, etc.