?? HOW DO I REPLACE HEADLIGHT SWITCH-1954 CADILLAC ??

Marty Roth

The headlights, taillights, and parking lights on the '54 Cadillac stay "ON" for just a few moments, and then will only "flicker" on for a moment - his continues for as long as the light switch is pulled "ON". The brake lights and turn signal work correctly, so I assume that the problem is in the switch - possibly the rheostat?

Is there another answer?

I'm not aware of any circuit breaker, but please correct me if I'm wrong, and no fuse appears blown. The Twilight Sentinel was bypassed years ago, so that has not been a consideration.

When the lights "cycle" on and off (a very quick blink on, and then longer off), it appears that something is building heat, causing a discontinuity. 

It appears that on the '54 Cadillac, the entire steering column, instrument cluster and speedometer, with all heater and defroster cables must be removed to get to the switch behind the dash, because it seems impossible to reach it from under the dash.

Is there an easier way??

2 photos - one larger for detail - Headlight switch is the knob to the left of the instrument pod.

Your suggestion?  --  and thanks in advance

Marty

post-97723-0-22078500-1456111849_thumb.j

post-97723-0-14659300-1456111852_thumb.j

hi marty, your headlight switch should have a built in breaker, that will break connection when too much ampere is flowing through the switch. can you reach up underneath the dash and touch the switch ?, there's a spring loaded pin that when held in, will allow the knob and shaft to come all the way out of the switch, then you should be able to unscrew the bezel that holds the switch in place.

Hi Charles,

will follow the wiring to the taillights, since the "flicker" is constant with park, low, and high beam lights, but not brake/turn lights. The breaker is working since I hear the metallic clunk each time the lights flicker. 

As ever, thank you for your quick response and thorough advice.