Restore (oil additive) question

414TATA

My '41  248 CI has been doing some "smoking" when stopped in traffic.  Bad at times not too bad others.  Engine is not using excessive oil or much at all in my limited driving.

My question: Have any of you used Restore oil treatment to any success in reducing smoking problems?  

This all original car just ready to roll over 30K on the clock.  

I will also post this question to General Discussion.

Thanks for the help.

Wayne

1941 Super 50

post-120316-0-77890600-1454119820_thumb.

Wayne,

I use "Restore" in ALL my cars, '02 Lincoln Towncar, '02 Dodge caravan, '40 Buick LTD, and have done so for several years.

The only thing about the Buick is that she holds 8 quarts, so it takes 2 cans of the stuff. I also throw in a can of STP just to make me feel good, along w/ the Shell Rotella 10w40.

If you look on the "net" there is a diagnostic about "smoke", like if it smokes on acceleration is one thing, on deceleration it is something else, and at idle something else.

I've forgotten what they are, but some of the old mechanics used to diagnose that way.

Mike in Colorado

When I was a teen ager we used STP in many of the cars I bought. They were usually pretty much worn out and it was my way of trying to get the oil pressure to go up. I can't say as anything ever bad happened to any of those old cars when I used it, in fact they all kept running until I sold them or junked them for some other reason. I don't use it today as it really just increases the viscosity of the oil and if your engine is good you don't want to do that. Its better if the oil flows as soon as possible after starting and a higher viscosity than needed causes oil to flow slower, once warmed up it probably is fine.