Stuck Door Handles - Interior 1930 REO

Guest andyw

Greetings,

I'm (still!) trying to figure out how to remove the interior door handles in a 1930 REO Flying Cloud (Murray body).  The window winders are no problem - push down the escutcheon, pop the pin (left photo).  The door handles are entirely stubborn and do not appear to be using the same mechanism (right photo).  A) Does anybody know how these are supposed to come apart and  B) any suggestions for doing that without damaging anything?  I've tried the suggestion of a very thin modeling saw between the escutcheon and the handle, no improvement.

Also - if anybody knows where to find the appropriate side window rubber weather strip for the FC, would love a heads up.. have tried Metro MMP, Steele Rubber, etc.

Thanks!!

Andy

post-130010-0-68069700-1453348691_thumb.

post-130010-0-09930400-1453348703_thumb.

Hi Mark,

Thanks, I'll check Mac's.  Already found some Ford roof drip channel that is similar to the REO at Bratton's.

There's no pin or spring on these, but on further investigation - i.e. make a really deep saw cut (3/16" or so), I think I've finally got enough of the plating out of the way and 2 of the handles are working again.  Seems like the handles might be pressed on, no screws or pins that I can find, and on very solidly.  Just trying not to do permanent damage.

Edited by andyw (see edit history)

I posted your question on the Reo Club web site and I received this answer . Good luck . They say acetone and transmission fluid a 50 / 50 mix works better than WD 40 .

My recollection is that the escutcheon is threaded & will unscrew. Try
heating it up a bit with a hair drier & gripping it with channel locks
gently to unscrew it. Be careful though because they are all made of cast
pot metal & are 85 years old & quite brittle, so be patient & gentle with
them, working it back & forth to gain slight movement in each direction.
Also possibly with a squirt of WD40. Good luck. Andy Cooper. - #2159

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest andyw

Hi Mark,

Nice to know that someone had some luck with the escutcheons!  Thanks for the hint.  We are members of REO Club, I need to use it more.

• 1 month later...

Yes, the rear escutcheons screw on and off try a little WD-40 or PB Blaster let it sit to give the oil a chance to penetrate and with a strap wrench try working it a little at a time.

Remember this is pot metal and very brittle.

http://www.vintageandclassicreproductions.com/