New guy in town with a small request.

Guest 2 more doors

Guest 2 more doors

Hey everyone I'm new to this site and wanted to introduce myself, my name is Kevin and I'm the owner of many car's past and present. Some easier to find parts for than others and that's what brings me here. I've recently purchased a 1930 chevrolet rolling chassis that I have intentions of turning into a open cockpit speedster. (I want to apologize to the purest's right now who curse me for doing it!) The purchase came with a set of chevrolet 20" steel disk clincher rims but did not come with the hardware which holds the ring to the center section and was wondering if anyone here knows where one might aquire such hardware? I'd appreciate any information that you can give me.

Attached are photos of the wheels in question.

Thanks for your help,Kevin

post-155977-0-80329500-1453331198_thumb.

post-155977-0-83757800-1453331219_thumb.

Welcome to the affliction!

I am not an authority on the Chevrolet wheels, but I think the 20 inch disc wheels were very similar to the Jaxon steel disc wheels used in earlier years by Chevrolet. I don't have any pictures to show the lugs, but they are among the most common of that type, and readily available. The style lug did come in more than one size, larger ones are more difficult to find, and were used on a few large cars (like Cadillac) and some trucks (including some Chevrolet trucks). I believe that Jaxon Wheels was a subsidiary of General Motors at that time, but they had been an independent supplier. Variations of their steel disc wheels were offered as an option on most GM cars, and some trucks. They had also been used by non-GM car manufacturers. 

The more common size lugs came cast  both with and without the Jaxon name on them, a little larger than most other common lugs, and a distinctive shape make them easy to spot at swap meets, where they usually sell for about a buck apiece. They can also often be found on eBad.The lugs for these wheels do NOT have captive nuts.

W2

Check out the following link for some for sale on eBad. I think these are the ones you want, they are like the ones used on the 21 inch wheels I had on a car some years ago.

Note, I have no connection with those for sale (and personally feel that the price is too high). At least you can see some pictures of what I think you need for your wheels. You can decide what they are worth to you. I did have some wheels like yours, but sold them a long time ago. I had a set of 21 inch on a model T race car a few years ago. I know for certain that variations of the wheels were available in 21 inch, 20 inch, 19 inch, for different years of Chevrolet and other cars. I believe I have seen 18 inch on a truck once, and wheels from a Cadillac once (I don't know what year). But those used the wider lugs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaxon-demountable-rim-clamps-933517-Qty-9-/131683088381?hash=item1ea8ec77fd:g:lNcAAOSw7FRWZfr0&vxp=mtr

Good word catch Carl La Fong!!!!!! 

No, those are not clincher rims. They appear in the photos to be straight side split rims. Which is what most of the Jaxon steel wheels did in fact use.

2 more doors will want a split-rim jack to repair and/or change tires on the rims. While I can usually mount tires on the Ford 21 inch split rims using a couple tire irons and a few swift kicks from a solid boot on my foot. Jaxon, and some other era, split rims are a bit heavier steel, and really tough to do without a proper rim jack (although I have managed in a pinch).

A hopefully calming word of reassurance: These kind of split rims ARE NOT the kind that you hear about being dangerous and exploding or killing people.

By the way, since I have you here Carl La Fong, any relation to W C Fields?

Guest 2 more doors

Thanks for all the information, I've never had wheels like this and the gentleman I bought them from refered to them as "clincher rims" Now that I know what they are it will definitely make my search much easier. Thanks for helping!

Guest 2 more doors

UPDATE!   

Found some clamps on Ebay that I thought would work but when they showed up they were the wrong size. I'm guessing here but what I think is that they may be a larger size clamp possibly for a truck rim. i have searched high and low for these clamps and any posts on any forums that discuss them are from five years ago. Cant seen to find anything, antwhere.