oil preasure relief valve

First thing I did was to check the "search" area but came up with O results.  My manual shows a spring between the bolt and ball. Is this correct?  So a while back I remove the bolt to see if it's clean and there's no spring. Is this right? What the heck?  I see the check ball, but no spring.  In hot weather ,at idle the preasure drops to just 3 to 5 lbs. Not to good .  When first starting it's usually around 35.  Can someone out there educate or just call me stooped.  Commander Dave

Guest GeorgeCagle

post-77148-0-37666700-1451511581_thumb.jDavid,

You should have a spring similar to the picture I have attached.  My 37 uses a plunger and spring.  I have an extra spring but I don't think it would be correct for your engine.  Check with a good machine shop to see if they can get one for your engine.

To rbk and all Excuse me. this is for the "big six" 354 engine. George; I think I have an extra block somewhere and will check for one on it.  Never thought about it being installed backwards.  Don't see how but will check anyhow. Is there any way any of that could be lost inside the engine when I try to get the ball out? Thanks, Commander Dave.

Guest GeorgeCagle

It can only go in about 1 1/2 inch, so can't get lost.  If it is there you should be able to get it with a small piece of wire (paper clip) with a hook on the end of it.

OK guys. I'm an idiot. So after posting about the spring not being there and having another block, at 10pm I goes out to the garage and check the old block and low and behold, there's a spring in there.  What luck!  So I go to the engine in my roadster and pull the plug for the oil preasure relief spring .......... and there's one in there too!  I do not know what I was thinking when the thread was started about not having a spring in there.  Any way, thanks to all. I suppose there could be a million excuses for this but that's how it went.   George, you know me and know how I am.  Think I'd better go to bed before I hurt myself.   Egg on Face Commander Dave

Thanks George.  Studerex;  As you can see, my roadster is not pretty or "restored" like yours will be. It has a good body except for he ft .fenders with barely any rust. I got it from a very gracious lady and son who had influence over who got it.  Just a few miles from where I live. It was in red oxide primer and had several parts to be found. At first I had intended to fix it as a nice driver, not a show car and enjoy it.  As you know, a lot of work is the kind that never shows  and is not appreciated  by the un-knowing. I didn't want to tear down the whole car because of the lack of room, time and money, plus I've seen to many cars like that, that never got done. I decided to just put color on the car without fixing the body right now while other things were done. At least it wasn't quite so dirty looking and people think it's neat. P.S. If you didn't already know; it's a 27 Commander sport roadster.  Commander Dave