63 carpet experience

musmat

My first post, so hi everybody.

My project rolled out of the garage two summers ago and has been improving slow and steady. And naturally, revealing its small problems one by one.

Currently, I'm working on the carpet. Water got in somehow (back window coming off and quarters being investigated) and I found a puddle in the back and front passenger side. The original carpet is rotten & stinky.

I went through the forum and saw many carpet recommendations for Clarks Corvair, but their website is ...well, limited.

Does anyone have experience with the complete set items on eBay from A1Auto or AutoMatStore?

Thanks in advance and this is a great forum by the way!

While Clarks website is not the easiest to navigate.  I used their carpet in my 65.  It dropped right in, just had to trim the door jambs to fit (which is standard)

Order their samples to verify color and know you are going to get a nice piece of carpet.  If you dont like their site.....call them.   So many people are afraid to pick up the phone and call

Related to this topic I'm getting ready to install carpet on my 63. Here's a few questions for the carpet replacement veterans:

1. I just got my carpet from OPGI and it's in three pieces (two front and and one rear). Is that normal? 

2. In front, does the console go in first and the two front carpet pieces attach to the console sides rather than straddle the hump like most old cars? Is there even carpet under the console once installed? 

3. If so, does that mean the rear carpet (which is in one piece and does go over the hump) goes in first, before the console and everything else? 

4. I'm going to lay Dynamat prior to carpet. Any advice on additional layers of backing like jute, tar paper etc as a barrier for sound and heat? I don't what too much under there, but still want good insulation. Any tips?

Thanks in advance. PRL

Three pieces yes, the rear goes in and tucks under the tail of the center console.  The other two pieces lay in and attach to the chrome trim on the center console and them tuck under the kick panels and door sill plate.

The Clarks carpet comes with padding already attached, so I cant help you there.  I can tell you I did dynamat on my floors and with the attached padding (1/4in thick) its not bad.

I should add the seats mounting spots are UNDER the carpet, so keep that in mind.

Edited by alini (see edit history)
  • Like 1

OK Pete: The guys on the HAMB have been complaining about dynamat because of it's high costs. Apparently there are several products out there that are comparable.  Anyone want to chime in with that?

I've done a pair of interiors so far. The upholstery shop pout their stock type mat in underneath the Clarks carpets and it's a very good fit.  Mitch

I used Ebay special dynamat.    Do a search for sound deadening material and you'll find tons of products.  The concepts still the same a rubberized coating being applied with a metallic backing for firm flexibility.  Still works.

We got our carpet from Rock Auto. It was made by ACC and we opted for the kit with the backing. I used the Heater duct insulation from the Hardware store. Its adhesive backed and about $20 per roll. I used 2 rolls on the floor. The carpet fit fine. It was a little hard to cut due to the backing, but worth the effort! Carpet goes under the rear of the console, but you don't have to take the console completely out.The interior was substantially cooler and much quieter as well!

Kaber

2014-03-23153133_zps875f99ed.jpg

2014-03-23153123_zps683b4a5a.jpg

2014-03-23153053_zps42d313db.jpg

2014-03-23153037_zpsf01d908e.jpg

2014-03-31122417_zps0d001b61.jpg

Thanks all. Pictures are worth a thousand words so thanks Kaber. The biggest riddle was the console. Makes sense to install it and adjust it after laying in the back piece and without any carpet up front. My carpet has the backing so my plan is to use the Dynamat without any other liners underneath. PRL

Good stuff everybody!

But no one tried or heard about the A1Auto or AutoMatStore carpets?

Kaber, is that medium blue or dark blue you have there? Your pics are great and I'm definitely shifting towards getting the same carpet you've got.

Its gloss black card stock from Hobby Lobby. I have replaced it all with the contact paper from Home Depot. The shiny surfaces of the paper showed every smudge and Fingerprint so we replaced it with the textured vinyl contact paper.

It looks good. I was curious because I too have had some issues with resurfacing my console. First, I stripped off the old vinyl and replaced it. It looked good for about a month then began to shrink and curl. Next, I tried another "all weather" vinyl (also in a camera case finish) and it did the same thing. I think insanity is defined by doing the same thing over and over, having the same outcome but somehow thinking things could turn out differently. I also think the hot weather here in Texas is hard on vinyl. Anyway, this last round I went with a thin old school Formica product typically used on counter tops. It's a matte black with a subtle pattern very close to the factory camera case pattern. I had to special order it from the Home Depot but I remember you used to be able to buy it in sheets there years ago. It is also very stable, crisp looking and indestructible. You cut it with a Dremel and a plastic cutting wheel. The trickiest part was the bend in the console by the shifter base but careful use of a heat gun coaxes it into shape. 3M trim adhesive and a bunch of clamps made it final. I'm really pleased with the outcome and hoping this is my last console re-do. PRL

• 2 weeks later...

I got the same carpet from the rock but in fawn. It's not an exact match but this may have been my fault as I may have chosen the wrong color. I think I'm staying with it as I like it better than the goldish original color. Looks like nice carpet with the rubber foot pad and high beam foot button gommet in place.