Compression Tester

GaryP65

I wanted to start a new post because in the past, my posts seem to run in all directions because of all the issues with something that hasn't started in decades. In hopes to stay on topic so I can stay clear on my course.

OK...

I finally made an adapter for my tester. Since I have new cars and I have no other need for the existing adaptors, I sacrificed one and JB Weld it to a donor plug.

post-148311-0-30174200-1447125532_thumb..

So, I removed all the plugs, and proceeded to go thru the cylinders. For #1, reading is 40psi,#2 is 50psi, #3 is 40psi & #4 is 50psi. So to see if it is the rings, I squirted a little oil in cylinders 1 & 3. In re-testing, #1 now reads #50psi, #3 is still at 40psi.

I did notice that it wasn't cranking as fast as before. Would this affect the results? With this motor, could it be valve related?

Edited by GaryP65 (see edit history)

I agree with the above.

A customer brought me a 302 Ford motor a couple of weeks ago that he had bought from a salvage yard several years ago as a good used engine.

However he was suspicious of the seller and wanted it checked out.

I hooked up the bellhousing and starter and ran a compression test and came up with a huge range of 5 lbs on two cyls. and up over 100 on a few.

I squirted some Marvel mystery oil in the cylinders while I figured out a way to try and run the thing on a pallet.

In about two weeks time I hooked up a radiator and fired it up for 15 minutes or so (full temperature) and the next day checked the compression again and it was all over 100 pounds.

I will assume there was some rusty valves and running the engine cleared all that up.

Awesome! I was expecting the experts to say it needs to be torn down!

As I said in the beginning of this post, I'm refraining from asking questions related to all the issues with the car, rather keep topics separate to avoid confusion. I'm going to attempt to get my carburetor post back on track because I believe I to be my final hump to get over in my attempt to start this beast now that I have spark. See you on the other one and thank you all.