1940 Century Engine Number

Rod Frazier

Yes, it's a 320.  Could you tell me where to find the chart you're using?  By the way, this engine also has about a 3" square cover on the the left (driver's) side bolted down low towards the front of the car just ahead of the exhaust header.  I don't remember anything like that on an early '40 and have no idea what it's for.  I noticed it when I was looking for the intake to the crankcase ventilation system so I could clean the copper mesh filter (which I have not found yet).

Look for a 90 degree elbow that attaches the water pump and the drivers side of the block right at the front. Buick changed the water pump configuration in 1950 on the 320 str 8,so if it has that it has insert style rod bearings and is 1950-51-52.

Also, to me the thermostat housing and water pump housing look like a later model.

To see a chart of the Buick engine numbers by year go to www.teambuick.com and register (free) then click on the Reference tab at top, and scroll down to "Buick Engine Identification" and click on the second listing "Buick Engine Identification, by the numbers" on the next page go to "Identification till '52". The chart has the beginning engine numbers by year. Some of the other pages in the Reference section will give some insight in reading various codes.

Yes, there is a matching plate on the right side (just didn't notice), but I'll have to look a little more closely at the water pump tomorrow....didn't see the 90 degree connection yet, but it's pretty late here and dark in that corner of the garage!  Will look more closely tomorrow.  Thanks all for the help.

Yep, the water pump has the elbow.  Guess what I have is a 1940 70-series engine.

But here's another question.  My manual fuel pump loses some pressure when the engine is hot, so I'm planning to replace it.  The rub is I think I did a dummy by buying a N.O.S. pump, since it may not be compatible with ethanol fuels.  What think the experts?