The 1924 Elgin Clock was sold to what Automobile Co.

Guest lil1steve

Guest lil1steve

Hello,

I have a 1924 Elgin clock according to the serial number and the date of 6-25 next to the Stewart name, I am trying to find out if this was sold to any peculiar car company because I know they were consider after market accessories. The one I have is missing the wind up stem. Is it worth the effort to have it look at and fixed.

Thank you, Steven

Hi , Steven : In 1924 and 1925 Cadillac used these black on white face 8 day Elgins. For 1926 they went to white on black , same as my '27. I believe Cadillac used Elgin prior to my '24. Similar/same as what you have ? I don't know. It used to be , and probably still is , that every swap meet had 1 or 2 of these clocks. That is where I found mine about 25 years ago. Seems it was $100 , or $150. I have seen different stem lengths , so the implications of this are obvious.

As you know , WW2 scrap drives claimed more old cars than many of us care to dwell on. Prior to disposing of or burning the useless parts , it was easy to pull the nice clocks out of the sacrificial victim. That is probably why you have one. If you have a good relationship with a good repairman to clean/fix yours , it is fun to play with these. By logging them twice a day without rewinding for the duration , you can fine tune their accuracy. Last critical adjustments can be made checking every 6 hours or so. I have got them to within 2 - 4 sec/day over perhaps 5 - 6 days. As the double mainspring runs down , they will start slowing down. There are clock guys who are car guys , they are the experts (M. Cooke , others ?) , so maybe they can add to my simplistic first peep through the keyhole. I hope this has been of at least some help. - Carl

Pierce-Arrow substituted Elgin clocks for their usual Walthams during a period of labor unrest at the Waltham factory for about 12-15 months beginning about May 1925.

Auto clock movements of that period were essentially the same movement used in then-popular "boudoir" clocks.  Further, the movements may be significantly older than the car they are in:  My early-1925 (built in 1924) original-instrument Pierce-Arrow sedan has a Waltham clock whose movement was dated by Waltham serial number to 1917!  The face and the often-potmetal housing may be unique to a particular car.  For example, certain Packards and Pierces used slightly different housings which appear to be the same shape but which will not interchange;  the movements will interchange, however.