1928ish wheel value?

Guest briwayjones

Guest briwayjones

Hi all!  I'm Brian!  I'm just here to try and figure out what the approximate value of a couple Buick wheels my Dad has so we can get rid of them and make some room.

I know this is going to be hard to gauge without any pictures.  But they are burried at the moment and I can't get any.

There are two wheels.  They are about 1928 wood spoked wheels that take 34" tires if I remember correctly.  They are on an axle but the axle is to narrow to be a car axle.  At one time I think they were used on a trailer.

The rims are completely rusty but still seem to be solid.  The wood spokes are unpainted but no longer have any finish left on them.  But they are also solid.  I think the wheels could be restored and used.  Sorry again for no pictures.  Just trying to get an idea at the moment.

Thanks for any help!

Guest AlCapone

Others may differ but I think it is impossible to estimate value with what you have provided. I wus say make the effort to obtain. Close up photographs. Wayne

Guest briwayjones

when you get  the photos, 

post them on the Buick general discussion section of this forum

there is a very active number of Buick owners there

Where is the Buick specific section?  I'm not seeing it.

34 inch tires will be an old style measurement of the outside to outside original tire measure. Except for certain types of high pressure tires used on earlier cars, most tires today, even for cars back to the mid 1920s are measured by the rim size, even though some of the original literature, and some very old tires will still have the old measure size.

A 34X6 (34 by 6 common tire-size-speak) outside measure tire would be the equivalent of a 22X6 (22 by 6 as commonly stated in tire-size-speak) rim size measure. Or put another way, 22 inch rim size, plus 6  (6 is the tire part of the tire) times 2 for the top and the bottom of the tire itself equals 34. OR, mathematically put, 34-(6X2)=22, and 22+(2X6)=34.

It would be so much easier if I could just draw a picture on a computer (I am not that good with computers). If I lost you completely forget all that, and read on.

Under any conditions, a 34 inch measurement would be very odd for a 1928ish Buick, it could be a 34X7 or 34X6.5, but those are not a common given size. Many Buicks did use tires with a variety of 34 inch outside measurements. But they would generally be much earlier, like 1909 through about 1922 (maybe even a little later). Different years and different models of Buick would have been slightly different sizes. A 34X4 would use a 26 inch rim. A 34X4 1/2 (I prefer the non-common-tire-speak variation stated as 34X4.5 because it translates more easily onto a typed page) translates to a 25 inch rim. A 34X5 tire would use a 24 inch rim. Any of those could be found on some earlier model Buick.

Buicks from about 1926 through about 1931 used rim sizes as large as 21 inch, down through 20 inch, 19 inch, and I think 18 inch. Buick along with the majority of the automotive industry was switching from the earlier high pressure type tires to balloon type lower pressure tires in the early to mid '20s. High pressure tires included both the clincher type and straight side type tires, as well as a few other odd by today's standard types like tubeless and bolt-on. Balloon tires are generally always straight side. 

Photos of your wheels will help a lot. A clarification of the tire size (and the exact rim size) would also help. The rim size is measured by where the innermost part of the tire bead sits on the rim when all is mounted and aired up.

Good luck!  (You may need it now that I have totally confused you?)

If they are 34 inch rims they are much earlier than 1928.  The value is knowing what you have, and finding someone who needs them.  Post pictures and we will help you with the identification, close ups of any numbers or interesting marks will help.  With a little luck someone who needs them is reading.

Edited by Graham Man (see edit history)