COMMON SCAM: If you receive a private message from a new member offering a part, make sure to thoroughly verify it. It’s your responsibility to ensure it’s not a scam. Report any suspicious users immediately. ×

timming a 31-50

my31buick

Ok guys, I have got my 31 - 50 all together again. I set the ignition points and adjustments as described in the specifications manual. But I still had a miss. . The muffler is rotted pretty bad and needs replacement so it makes it a little noisy.  So I have a question. If I understand correctly # 1 cylinder fires 12 degrees before top dead center. If everything is adjusted correctly should I be able to use a timing light and use the 12 degree mark on the flywheel to double check that the timing is right or am I missing something?

I can only speak from a 1932 50 series perspective.  The 31 32 engines are very similar.  I do know there was a cam change in the 2 years, but I don't think it had to do with lob configuration.  A 1932 50 series should be 7 degrees btd on timing.  The big challenge on setting up these distributors is getting the 2 sets of points set correctly.  It is very easy to get the a couple degrees of variation between the 2 sets.  I like to take the distributor to a shop that has a Sun distributor machine.  It is easy to set the proper angular setting for the 2 sets of points as well as the dwell and also check the mechanical advance curve.  With this done, it is then only necessary to install the distributor on #1 cylinder firing.  With this done, you can be sure that ignition is properly set up.

Have you tried to retard the timing using the spark control while the engine is running?  Another thing to watch is that no spark plug wires are shorting on the wire cover.  The mechanical advance curve should begin to work around 400 rpm and be about 20 degrees advance at 1600 rpm.  these older cars did not have good coil saturation and so the dwell setting is important to get max coil output.  You could try using a newer coil from an early 50 6 volt system and see if there is any difference with a new coil.  Another test to isolate a spark plug or plug wire problem is to short one plug at a time and see if you can isolate the miss to a particular cylinder.

Gasoline is much more consistent than what was used in the early 30's. The higher octane can allow some change in the timing.  Hook up a vacuum gauge and see if you can see the vacuum jumping.  If it is consistent, try turning the distributor to get maximum vacuum and us this as you timing setting.

On my model A Ford, I set the engine to TDC on #1 cylinder, and then filed a notch on the crank pulley.  I then use this notch with a timing light to set the timing rather than the pin in a static condition.

I hope these suggestions help

Bob Engle 

Good instructions Bob.  The simple way is as Bob said:

"Hook up a vacuum gauge and see if you can see the vacuum jumping.  If it is consistent, try turning the distributor to get maximum vacuum and us this as you timing setting."

And then I back the distributor back off a couple of degrees from maximum vacuum.  Just what I do and not let it stay at max vacuum.

hey guys thanks for the input. I did go thru the entire timing process/ points setting procedure again. Not sure what I had wrong but the points gap was a little more than should have been. got it running smooth now. Is this the best way or go ahead and set it with the vacuum Gauge? Thanks for all the help. Mark I have the block I got from you at the engine shop. They are going to try and outfit it with insert bearings. The rods will likely be 350 chevy bearings. They are having trouble figuring out what to do for the mains. I was able to purchase a few more rods too. If all goes well I should have a spare short block with inserts ready if ever needed. If anyone has an extra head I would be willing to buy it so I could have a complete engine ready for the car.

Good instructions Bob.  The simple way is as Bob said:

"Hook up a vacuum gauge and see if you can see the vacuum jumping.  If it is consistent, try turning the distributor to get maximum vacuum and us this as you timing setting."

Where is the ideal or suggested place to hook up a vacuum gauge for this process?

Thanks,