Sock it to me baby!

RivNut

HELP! 

I'm beyond frustration with the minimum wage clerks behind the counters at Advance Auto Parts, Autozone, O'Reilly's, and Car Quest.  If they can't find a part on their computer by year, make, and model, you might as well not even go through the doors.

I need the strainer (sock) for the sending unit / pickup in the tank of my '64.  The sender / pickup has a 3/8" tube, nothing special, no lips, flanges, etc.  The old strainer slid off but came off in 50 year old pieces.  Can anyone who has replaced their sock tell me what you used - INCLUDING the year, make, and model from which it came - so I can go back in and help a clerk find me a part? 

I did on online Google image search and see that a sock similar (3/8") to the one I took off comes on a 78 - 8? Chevy El Camino.  The only difference that I can see is that the one I took off is shaped like a canister, with a solid bottom, and the one for the El Camino is like a sleeve that's sewn shut on the bottom end.

Thanks,

Ed

To answer my own question I started doing some browsing.  I found that Classic Buicks offers one.  CB uses the original General Motors part number as their own part number.  I did a parts search on Amazon, they don't need year, make, and model; all they need is a part number.  I found the same part for around $12 instead of $20 at CB.  I then did a parts number search on Rock Auto's online catalog.  They're having a "wholesalers closeout" so I bought three of them for $3.89 each.  The original OE part number is now ACDELCO part number TS1000. I think that it must have been used on a ton of late 70's to mid 80's GM cars and trucks.  There were 95 different Oldsmobile models from different years shown as using this part.

When I get it, I'll see how it fits, take a picture, and let you know what I think of it.

Ed

Guest Dale in Vancouver

Hi Ed. As I have an '87 El Camino as well as the Riviera I thought "great", I'll get a couple of those. When I checked the Rockauto catalog however, the price was $12.31. Guess you lucked out and got the last of the bargain priced ones.

Dale

There were six at the wholesale closeout price.  I guess my timing was just right.  It seems amazing that they'd be selling that many parts in such a short time.  I wonder if the warehouse guys are on roller skates.  The counter guys at the area's biggest Chevy dealer all wear roller skates; they've become pretty good at maneuvering on them. Quite a show when two or three of them converge at the same point at the same time.

Ed, I have always had great luck with Rock Auto.  I find that many AC/Delco parts are priced much less than my local GM dealers for the same identical part.  Prices are more than fair and shipping is quick.  All transactions that I have had with them have been painless.