Clum 4-position switch re-make

Rogillio

The original Clum, 4-position switch is missing from my car.  There was a simple toggle switch for the coil and a 2 position switch for the lights.  I have cut all that out and replace the old wire.  I was told (by Tom at Myers) that the original Clum 4-position switch are hard to find and sell for several hundred bucks!  But the face of the original switch is still on the dash.  So I found a 4-position electrical switch that I ordered on-line (that shipped from China!) for about $20.  I cut the face off the new switch and modified the back of the bracket and drilled holes on the face to mount the switch.  This is still a work in progress but here are some pictures of where I'm at.  I will paint the face back like the original and paint that stupid red knob black....then I have to figure out how to wire this switch up.  The instruction for the switch were in Chinese!  There are, I think, 12 screws on the back.....with my meter I concluded 3 of the 4 positions close two switch positions similar to a DPDT switch.  But in one of the position it only makes one connection (SPST).

Myers had the knob (for $75!) and I ordered it but it would not fit on the switch shaft.  I might could have made it work but there are only a handful of people in the world who will know my red plastic know painted black and sitting on a 21st century Chinese switch is not OEM.  :-)

BTW, I had the dash powder coated.  Any idea what I can do with those extraneous hole now?  I guess if I painted the dash I could fill the holes with screen and bondo...but the PC looks so nice I hate to ruin it by painting it.

One more edit.....it's not a great picture.....but see if you can figure out what is wrong on the dash....it has to do with the gauges.

post-142600-0-94156800-1439395020_thumb.

post-142600-0-06135700-1439395038_thumb.

post-142600-0-06368900-1439395065_thumb.

post-142600-0-63749900-1439395081_thumb.

post-142600-0-83378100-1439395095_thumb.

Edited by Rogillio (see edit history)

For those extra holes you could put an LED for you high beam indicator, (or turn signals).

Or just put a stainless or painted screw and nut and save them for later.

Way to go on the ingenuity of that switch.

Other than the black face gauge peeping out I don't know what this dash is supposed to look like.

Fun Stuff for sure.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

For those extra holes you could put an LED for you high beam indicator, (or turn signals).

Or just put a stainless or painted screw and nut and save them for later.

Way to go on the ingenuity of that switch.

Other than the black face gauge peeping out I don't know what this dash is supposed to look like.

Fun Stuff for sure.

Yes, black face is sort of the issue.  If you look very closely you can see a '12' on that guage...indicating it is an amp guage.  It is supposed to be an oil pressure guage.  When I was putting the panel back together I had two amp guages....one white and one black.  I accidently put 2 amp meters in instead of an amp  meter and a oil pressure guage.  I have since taken the black amp meter out and gave it to a guy in Australia.....so won't be making that mistake again.  :-)  Nice catch on the black face! 

ETA.  I don't have turn signals....on either of my cars.  I use hand signals!  :-)  I thought about adding them...but since I only go to the grocery store and back and never go more than 34 mph, I don't think they are necessarry.

My dad told me his granddad (my great-granddadd) came up with the idea for turn signals before cars had them.  People laughed at the idea and said, "Nobody is so damn lazy they can't roll down the window and stick their arm out!" 

Edited by Rogillio (see edit history)

My dad told me his granddad (my great-granddadd) came up with the idea for turn signals before cars had them.  People laughed at the idea and said, "Nobody is so damn lazy they can't roll down the window and stick their arm out!" 

Oh yea, the old good days.