Big Old Auction w/ 2 Peerlesses

jeff_a

This was mentioned on the Peerless Forum quite a while ago, but there will be a VanDerBrink Auction September 26 with a 1918 Peerless Model 56 Limousine and a 1920 Peerless Model 56 4-Door Roadster. These & 68 other cars will be FS at the Boone County Fairgrounds, Boone, IA. Old Cars Weekly just sent me an update on the affair....mentioning a '36 Pierce-Arrow Country Club Roadster, a '25 Kissel 8 Gold Bug Speedster, a '58 Studebaker Golden Hawk (supercharged, factory continental kit), a '22 Detroit Electric, and the '20 Peerless (Previous owner Bill Harrah stated this was the most remarkably-preserved & complete original car in his collection. 1st owner only drove it for 10 years and only in summer.). This is the Grant Quam Collection. Not many have seen these cars recently, since Grant, of Ames, IA, passed away in 2007. 

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

It's great to see the whole auction listing up on the VanDerBrink site now. There are even some videos of Mr. Quam and his automobiles viewable from the web-site. Some cars well-restored -- some needing it. Others include a couple of 1934 Buick Sedans, a Chrysler Airflow, a 1936 Pierce-Arrow Sedan, a 1936 Graham Supercharged Sedan (older restoration), 4 1937 Oldsmobiles, a 1937 LaSalle Convertible Sedan (original, runs, I think Ronald Reagan had a '37 LaSalle when he was a bachelor), 3 1939 Mercurys in various stages of needing work, 3 pre-WWI cars (Overlands & Studebaker), 3 restored 1934 Phaetons(Plymouth, Chevrolet, Ford), a 1929 Oldsmobile Landau, a 1958 Ford Retractable, and a 1963 Studebaker Avanti R-1. There's even a 1959 Chrysler 300-E (I heard an interview of an early NASCAR driver/bootlegger saying that these cars, stock, would go 140 with their 413 Wedges & Dual Quads). There's a 1954 Kaiser Manhattan, a 1951 Chevrolet (with 29,000 miles), and a 1936 Terraplane Sedan.There will also be some engines and parts for sale.

To me, this looks like an auction just as good as the recent Lambrecht Auction in Nebraska, but with a lot more cars in good shape. I understand the collection has had a caretaker to keep many of them that way. I predict that this, plus the Lambrecht Auction, will take the auction house to the next level if enough people find out about it.

If only I had a car-hauler trailer and a couple of Woodrow Wilsons. And gas money!

I'm going to re-calculate. I was thinking an auto like this is might be picked up for a $100,000 bill, but the supply is a little on the low side...the demand for full classics...the open roadster factor. Naahh! Seriously, a lot of stunning sets of wheels in Mr. Quam's collection, judging by a few I've seen pictures of.

• 2 weeks later...

The auction will be at the Central Iowa Expo Center, about 3 miles east of  Boone, by the Monsanto plant and the Dick Cissel Recreation Area. I looked at the auction website today and see there are hundreds of photos up now, even some of the 1918 Peerless Model "56" Limousine. I originally thought the LaSalle was a Roadster...but it's a Convertible Sedan.