Ignition Coil

Can anyone recommend what coil to use as a replacement for my original one on a 1925 EPK Big Six engine, positive earth 6 Volt and where to get it from? 

I am not getting any spark from it.

Thanks for your help with this.

Roger 

Brisbane Australia

Roger

the coil from 1926 has condenser built in, if you replace it with modern coil you have to get condenser also.  I would watch ebay one will pop up or try buy sell at this site.  a modern alternative is one from early 50's 6 volt.

Ken

Roger,

Is your coil a Remy and, if so, does it have the socket side post design as pictured? This is the same one used on some of the 1924 models. They are a bit rare but I think I may have one of these left (not as nice looking as the one pictured).

Scott

post-108790-0-95413700-1435286822_thumb.

No Scott, its not a Remy....... I've just removed it now and on the base it says Mallory, there is a ceramic fitting at the top with a coiled spring running around it,  just below where the king lead comes out.

Stamped into the upper band it says ........ C 5000 6 V

make sure you have 6V at the low tension side of the coil. Mine had 2V at one stage and there wasn't much spark. I don't know about your era, but in 1939 every connection was zinc plated brass on a steel bolt (a little galvanic cell). Zn Oxide doesn't conduct well, so once corrosion takes place you have poor contact.

Roger,

It looks like I previously sold the Remy coil I mentioned above. I do have an original Wagner coil for your car. I tested it with a wire and spark plug and got a spark using a 6 volt power supply. Let me know if you are interested.

Scott

smrdeza@lentel.com

post-108790-0-70348100-1435662646_thumb.

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)