shock absorber 1929 chevrolet

Opened up top of delco_ remy lovejoy shockabsorber for the 1929 chevy. The arm has come up and now will not go back down. There is no oil in this shock and some surface rust. I am thinking that if I can dissolve this rust , it will move again. How do I do this and not wreck the rubber/ gasket where the arm goes into the cast body of the shock. Possibly the fine rust has stopped the spring from returning to its compression state. Strong spring! Maybe I could put the correct oil in and let soak. Ideas? Thanks Phil

• 2 weeks later...

In the US 29 Chevs did not originally come with "shock absorbers".  The 30 Chevs had a single action type from the factory and since the 30 model was very similar to the 29 a lot of them got installed on 29s as they became available from wrecking yards or ?.  The 30 front axle has a 5th hole forged in it beside the u-bolt holes that the shock lever rod goes through and the shock body mounted on the side of the frame rail with two heavy bolts.  The rear shock was mounted on the frame rail as well and had a small heavy plate that went under two of the axle u-bolts.  The 28 and 29 Chevs had "recoil plates" on the springs that look like helper springs.  EACH leaf spring has TWO recoil plates, front of axle and rear of axle mounted on top.  Since your shocks are already installed and the holes drilled in the frame you might not care, but if someone was reading this thread and wanted to ensure authenticity on a US model they might think all 29 Chevs came with shock absorbers.  A tourer/phaeton in summer weather would be VERY nice.

• 3 weeks later...