trunk cover

I finished restoring an original factory trunk that took over two years on and off. It was a major headache being metal wood lined and all nailed together. The problem I have now is it is not rain proof and I tour using it for storage space. We just came back from a weekend tour and I had to tape plastic over it to keep the water out seeing we had rain. We are registered for the vintage tour in Pennsylvania in July and want something better looking than plastic. I noticed some pictures of cars have a canvas cover over a trunk and wonder if anyone has any experience in pros and cons for a good cover material  plus fastening it down?? 

post-125099-0-84366000-1434549150_thumb.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

Joe

It turned out beautifully. It is very odd that it leaks, though. I wonder if there's some sort of weatherstripping seal that needs to be installed??? I have a metal trunk for my Packard, and it seems well designed so that it won't leak, tho I haven't yet had it in the rain. I always assumed the reason for the metal trunks was so that it didn't need to be covered.

Guest bkazmer

there was a discussion about this at the Gilmore meet a couple weeks ago.  There were both clear vinyl and canvas "touring covers" on cars and they could be held on by straps at the lower edge.  With the vinyl cover I would want to know the paint type and plasticizer in the vinyl to make sure there would be no interaction. 

Thank you West for the kind comment. As for leaking it shows in my master parts manual that it came with a cover so I imagine GM knew they were prone to leaking. Another thing I just noticed in the GM master parts manual that the luggage trunk was only available for 1928 and 29 model year Cadillac's and not available for 1930 & 31 models. So I got the wrong trunk on my car but I guess but it will still hold booster cables and a wash bucket and rags..   

I was at the Gilmore for the Museum Experience and did not stay for the seminar cause of rain and the long drive. It was a very good event and first time there.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

If I were making a cover for a trunk, I'd use top material, then it'd be waterproof and not hurt the paint.

There's usually a lip on the trunk edges, that the lid comes down and over, thus preventing water from coming in. 

Restoration Specialties In Windber, PA offers some thin D profile rubber that might seal the trunk up enough. If your still concerned about leakage, I made up a cover using Stay Fast top material that is the same as the convert top, as David Coco advised in his response. It needs to be sewn/crafted tight to minimize flapping in the wind, which would affect (dull) the paint. Stainless steel snaps can be located on the edge of the trunk rack, two on each side, and perhaps two on the front. Its a PIA to remove, but the protection it provides is worth it. And matching the tire covers and top is a nice aesthetic. Note the use of French seams on the corners for added strength and the panels cut to size & shape for a tight fit..

post-76951-0-90886900-1434675088_thumb.jpost-76951-0-33750900-1434675096_thumb.jpost-76951-0-86608600-1434675104_thumb.j

Edited by Friartuck (see edit history)