Gathering Intel before Selling 1926 Model T Coupe

Guest MountainMan53

Guest MountainMan53

Hey everyone, I trust this is a good spot to post this. I am helping out a family friend who doesn't want to hold onto his 1926 Ford Model T Coupe anymore. Attached is a photo of the car.

They bought it long ago, but they can't really hold onto it anymore. He restored it, starts with the 6 volt electric starter, original wooden wheels, light grey exterior, gray cloth covered interior, four cylinder engine, manual transmission with the three pedals, clear title, I'm probably boring you by now, but I also don't know exactly what to be specifying. I don't want to just saturate a post with silly minute details that are basically "given"s for a car like this, but I also want to know what are critical points to include without smacking someone with a dissertation about the car.

You're all experts and enthusiasts, so a critical question to you all is what information should I try to have? When buying, what would YOU want to know? Obviously tons of pictures, but I figure I don't even know which questions to ask in the first place, technical or otherwise, I've been trying to gather information but I defer to you all of course. I know the car has been started up and run very sporadically, but it runs very well, and is otherwise stored safely in an insulated garage and taken care of. Along with any general tips for a guy who doesn't really know much about this car. 

What websites should I be posting on to look for selling? I know Craigslist is out there, but a wild card of sorts. Ebay decent for this? Or should I stick to niche sites that revolve more around specific vintage car sales? People have said bringatrailer.com or Hemmings.com (although that has been alluded to as having pretty inflated prices). Craigslist and eBay might not get as "reputable" a buyer, maybe just someone looking to flip, versus a site like this or MTFCA (I've posted there as well) where the buyer would actually want the car. Generating action and interest of a reasonable and genuine nature is desired (obviously). I'll be taking more pictures shortly, but I definitely want to know how to best craft an effective ad, and obviously if any of you are interested, keep tabs or let me know!

Any help, insight, suggestions, direction, information...would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for listening, and if you know any other internet forums I should be poking around on, pass them along, anything you think might be helpful! Thank you very much for your time.

post-153742-0-37103700-1434397511_thumb.

If I were selling, I'd definitely post on the Model T Ford Club of America forum (MTFCA), that's where you'll get great exposure..  Ebay is fine too, it'll get seen by a lot of people there.  This is not a high dollar car, and people interested in owning such a Model T will lose interest very quickly if over-priced to start with.  If you post on MTFCA in the discussion forum, you'll get plenty of advice on where you should be on price.

Guest MountainMan53

Yeah that's a valid point about pricing. We do want this car to move, even if it's not at the greatest "profit" or "value" for the current owner. Price to move. I've posted on MTFCA and had good input there, but I'm trying everything I can! This is really interesting stuff, and I know I'm out of my element here haha. I appreciate it, thank you. 

As an owner of a '26 coupe, most people wanted to know the following when I had it for sale last spring;

1. Original car or after market items added? i.e. fiberglass fenders, trunk lid etc.

2. Has there been a restoration done? Body, mechanical, electrical, tires, etc. and how recent. 

3. Does it run and is it driveable? 

4. Where is it located? Most people wanted to inspect and drive the vehicle.

5. Asking price, transportation arrangements, etc.?

6. Is there a clear title?

These are just the major things that I ran into recently. Determining the asking price is the hardest item, and there is some good advise in the above posts. Good luck, it's a nice looking coupe.