Buying a 1930 Flying Cloud - what do I need to know?

envoy_to_the_stars

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of purchasing my first Pre-War car.  It's a 1930 Reo Flying Cloud 625.  It is totally unrestored except for an electric fuel pump (mechanical one is included, though).  I am trying to determine it's value so I can find a fair purchase price, as well as determine as much about the mechanical condition of the car before I schedule a trip from Texas up to the north east to go see it.

Below is a link to pictures taken just yesterday.  Overall, it seems to be in solid "Condition 3" shape, with some paint spider webbing around edges and chips around the hood cowl.  There is some wear and patching on the seats, but nothing that needs immediate attention.  It smokes just a little bit if you rev it quickly, but not when idling or normal driving. It seems to idle a bit high, but the engine was cold and hadn't been driven in a few weeks.  All of the gauges work and it does run and drive pretty smoothly. 

I haven't seen many Flying Cloud sedans for sale in this condition, so I don't have much reference as far as a fair value goes.  What should I offer for the car?  Any questions I absolutely need to ask before making the trip to get it?

http://imgur.com/a/hInES

Video of it driving:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJSrLyhyROM

Video of a walk-around showing the condition:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWMBZcQzFq8

Please excuse my postponing painful thumb tapping advice here and now. I have got my impressive 1924 Cadillac touring going again. It slept for a long time while I was busy dying. Surprised the cardiologist by surviving longer than expected . Given a reprieve, I finished getting it going a few days ago. Therefore : off for a drive ! P.M. sent. - C Carl

I would say your car looks very good . I just bought a Reo for $15,000. in pieces all the wood is rotted , no interior , no paint and many parts missing or needing repair . I told the seller when I purchased mine I am not arguing on the price just give me all the parts . He occasionally comes across some parts that go with my car . While he is cleaning up and mails them to me .  Reo made a very solid car . When I had my body off the frame everyone said the frame looks like a 1 ton truck frame . If you want I can email you pictures showing some of the mechanical pieces of the car . The owners and repair manuals do not show in detail what my pictures show . One other point if your motor is like mine . Behind the water jackets there is water distribution tubes . They were the down fall of these cars as the tubes were made of tin and rotted away . I would check the condition of these tubes as they had little tube fingers on them to push the water between the cylinders . Good Luck

I would say your car looks very good . I just bought a Reo for $15,000. in pieces all the wood is rotted , no interior , no paint and many parts missing or needing repair . I told the seller when I purchased mine I am not arguing on the price just give me all the parts . He occasionally comes across some parts that go with my car . While he is cleaning up and mails them to me .  Reo made a very solid car . When I had my body off the frame everyone said the frame looks like a 1 ton truck frame . If you want I can email you pictures showing some of the mechanical pieces of the car . The owners and repair manuals do not show in detail what my pictures show . One other point if your motor is like mine . Behind the water jackets there is water distribution tubes . They were the down fall of these cars as the tubes were made of tin and rotted away . I would check the condition of these tubes as they had little tube fingers on them to push the water between the cylinders . Good Luck

Mark,

I will send you a private message with my email address - yes, your pictures would be very helpful!

Please excuse my postponing painful thumb tapping advice here and now. I have got my impressive 1924 Cadillac touring going again. It slept for a long time while I was busy dying. Surprised the cardiologist by surviving longer than expected . Given a reprieve, I finished getting it going a few days ago. Therefore : off for a drive ! P.M. sent. - C Carl

Carl - I just found the Private Messaging feature on the forum and sent you a reply.  Look for my message there.