Frame numbers needed for 1928-1932 DB Trucks

This a very interesting project.

Your list does not incude the DE model. The Master Parts Book does not show the DE.

The follow is for for my 29 DB series E: frame # S 114139 and motor #H79-864. This is confirmed since I still have a toeplate for the truck.

I have completed a summary of truck frame and engine #'s. Have I given you a copy? I could forward but I have had trouble sending you e-mail.

The term "Build Card" is actually a "Service Truck Record". This is what I recieved from Chrysler History source. The service card is for my S115xxx truck not the S114xxx DE truck. I do not have a service card for my DE.

Note the model as B 120 and is dated 4-11-30. This may not be the actual build date. It may be more correct as a "delivery card." I would think the plant in Stockton did not know where the truck would be delivered.post-113706-0-63386900-1433606487_thumb.

Email me anything you can Sherman. Thanks for your input by the way !

If you can't email it to me then post it here or on the DBC site if you wish. I will be documenting updates daily as the information rolls in from all sources I've reached out to.

The work I've compiled to this point is getting very interesting indeed but have much work to be done... I will not be able to begin to pull things together completely until all the frame numbers for each model are accounted for from the time period of July 1st 1929 to June 31st 1930.

As you can imagine, I'm very anxious to get deeper into the numbers :D

Regards,

Dave

EDIT: What month of 1929 does your build card show ? The DE has always thrown me in regards to the DEW and DE. Have you ever found an answer to what the DE model is ? What does your toeplate say DE or DA ?

See attached GB Manual:  The DE was a carry over from Graham Bros trucks. The Master Parts Book carried the BE model over but did not recognize the DE. The toe plate for my DB truck has DE model noted. This is a DB truck that  carries the DB radiator emblem. I do not have the toe plate for my DA 120.

post-113706-0-88311900-1433632258_thumb.post-113706-0-06874800-1433632274_thumb.

I understand what you are saying about the DE and DEW possibly being "carryovers" but it seems odd that any DE carryover would have a high Stockton frame number in the sequence that is set in the spring of 1930.

If it is indeed a DE carryover shouldn't it have a frame number from the time period of late 1928 to the spring of 1929 in order for it to be categorized as a 1929 model AND shouldn't  it have a frame number lower than S112798? Beginning in July of 1929 they started building the 1930 models starting with S112798, anything with a Stockton stamp higher than that number would have been produced  after July 1929 in the sequence. Which is why your truck is so confusing to me. Again, please clarify what you know.

My DE truck (S114xxx) had a badly damaged frame and this truck is a 29. I have the Calif. DMV title and it states year sold as 1929.

I used the frame from my DA-120 parts truck. Yes the two "E" series body were the same.

Here is a summary of the research by John Bittence that summarizes the change over from GB to DB. The articles appeared in "Dodge Bros. News".

Jan 1, 1927 DB 3/4 ton commercial Car was changed to a GB 3/4 ton commercial Car .

GB will continue to build all truck bodies at the Evansville plant for GB and DB trucks. The bodies would be sent to Detroit, and Stockton plants for final assembly. The standard closed cab is noted as the 805 cab.

Chrysler take full control of GB and DB trucks. 0n July 31,1928 Chrysler purchased Dodge from Dillion Reed.

QUOTE "January 2rd 1929 Chrysler announces GB Trucks would be marketed as DB products but Chrysler wanted to use the GB nameplate because of their reputation. GB trucks were coming of the assembly line and Dodge dealers continued to sell the remaining GB trucks. A reference made in the "J Bittence" article states that early DB trucks still carried GB badge. (1). The tag on window header states built by Graham Brothers and the radiator shutters would still have GB noted, and carried on until 1935.

The vin toe plate for the 29 "E" series model would state "Dodge Brothers Truck built by Graham Brothers for Chrysler Corp. It even appeared on the DA 120 DA 124 and DA 133 trucks.

April 1929 or 4 mo. after DE, DEW/DEF would become DA-120."

I have a Parts List for the earliest "E" series DB truck. See attached. Note the beginning date with an open ending date. These numbers agree with the reference "Model Chart & Serial Numbers Guide" dated 1946.

post-113706-0-21734200-1433710844_thumb.

N0 problem. I enjoy the search and the history.

The title for the DE is dated 1948 and is the old "Pink Slip". The original sold date is 1929, I believe this was probably the second owner. I purchaed it in 1969 and I am the third owner.

The DA 120 is dated 1970. I purchased it in a wrecking yyard in Riverside CA. The date sold was 1931. Same body as the DE except the headlite bucket has a more modern shape.

I need clarification on a couple of things if you would please:

First, what does this statement mean from your quote in post 10 ? - "April 1929 or 4 mo. after DE, DEW/DEF would become DA-120."

I'm assuming this is saying that the DE will now signified as a DA-120. But what does it mean when it says "or 4 mo.after".

Is it saying 4 months after April 1929 it will then be called DA-120?

I also have a question about the book you posted that needs clarification on.

Sure wish other truck guys would input....

Yes, or 4 mo. later. This is actually a statement by Jason Anderson. He had given me a suummary of his research. Jason was a very knowledgable about these trucks. My mistake of saying its from J Bittence.

There was a thread of posts on this forum about early GB/DB trucks.

You do have my ref noted I believe.

post-113706-0-33232800-1433791633_thumb.post-113706-0-48935000-1433791683_thumb.post-113706-0-73050900-1433791719_thumb.

"Trust me, I'm not trying to upset the kettle but rather just trying to get to the ultimate truth. All of the evidence is still pointing to your frame numbers being closer to 1930 models. Yes your original plate may have said DE and relabeled a few months later as a DA-120 but again with all due respect these seem to be assumptions from what I'm seeing. Again, I mean no disrespect, just trying to figure it out...."

My toe plate does show "DE" for the S114xxx frame and my "Service Record" does show model"B-120" for the S1115xxx farme. No assumptions. It is what it is.

My truck is not a 28. The listing in your pervious post shows this. As I stated before the Ca. DMV title does say year sold as 1929 and 1931 repectively. Question is whether a car is based on "Service Record" date or year sold. Seems better to base on "Service Record" since it is hard to tell how long these trucks set in dealer before they were sold.

post-113706-0-80474400-1433954113_thumb.post-113706-0-07788600-1433954166_thumb.