Oil pump failure

franklin28

Picture show how clean the engine block is after 16,000 miles using Mobil 1. Second picture shows a small piece of solder that worked its way into the oil pump and locked up the gears which broke the tangs on the oil pump shaft. Result was no oil flow or pressure. This engine with over 16,000 miles on it shows limited damage even though it was run for about 1 hour after the oil pump failed. A good testament to Mobil 1.

I will take and add pictures and post them of the post-131299-0-66199600-1432684903_thumb.rod bearings and piston damage from this engine.

post-131299-0-34255900-1432684935_thumb.

I also had a pump failure of the same kind. We started a new engine and the tang on the oil pump shaft snapped off.

It took about 5 to 10 minutes for the engine to screech to a stop. I will never run an engine again without a good oil pressure gage in plan sight. it is still an unknown why the shaft snapped. 

• 2 weeks later...

Any thoughts on how to run a reliable oil pump pressure gauge on an engine like the 1929 135?

Thanks,

Jim

Don KItchin did this on his 135, which Mark Sullivan now owns.  I don't remember what he did, but he reported very high readings when the oil was cold.  If the lines run outside like a S-11 you could tap into one of them.

Gordon Howard