Black Auto

ronbarn

Start with the easiest reference - Standard Catalog of American Cars - 1805-1942. There were several Blacks, but none made in 1902. Is there any ID plate which shows where it was built. It could be a late version of the Indianapolis Black which disapeared in 1900, or an early version of the Black which started in Fort Wayne, IN, in 1906. Try the Standard Catalog for a start and then contact the AACA Library & Research Center (go to AACA hompage, click on Library, print a request form and snailmail it to the address shown.).

We have in our carriage museum a 1902? Black automobile made in Chicago. This resembles a carriage with the engine mounted underneath. It has two opposing cylinders, 2 forward gears, 1 reverse, crank start, chain driven. Would like to find out more about the Black mfg. company and or this vehicle. Any suggestions on where to obtain information would be greatly appreciated

• 6 years later...

If it has no brakes, it could be the Indianapolis Black, which did not just disappear, it was stolen in 1904, the Black Carriage Company was bought by Cole and became the Cole in 1909. They did not put brakes or an ignition kill switch on the car, and it was run around and around the circle at Indy downtown until it ran out of gas. The police waited to give the driver a ticket when he stopped. Apparently, this was the first actual car theft in Indianapolis, I recall there was a story about it in the Indianapolis Star, and it was believed it was stolen by someone who was going to build a similar car ( pretty wild speculation, but then, it was 1904)

Contact Bob Benz (rtbenz@nac.net). He lives near Lebanon, NJ and has a Black auto. Not sure of the year, but it appears complete and it runs. I did notice the Model T carburetor on it, and as you can tell by my username, I approved!!!!

Frank