Robe Rail

dibarlaw

Earlier this week I had received a "Kit"of reproduction cast iron robe rail ends, stainless center tube and instructions from Gregg Lange. $85.00 Great fit and finish. I had a temporary robe rail which matched one from a 1928 Buick sedan. Leif Holmberg had given me the dimensions from his 1925-25 and I drilled accordingly. The temporary rail tube was shortened to fit these dimensions
 I have installed my new Robe rail that Gregg has made up along with period foot rest brackets and is advertising in the 1915-1918 Buick newsletter.
 Perfect fit! I had originally located and drilled the holes as Leif had told me. When I tried the new rail the upper holes matched perfectly! All I had to do was drill the bottom holes. As always thanks for your help. Now I have the correct rail (thanks to Gregg) and footrest (thanks to Terry Wiegand). I still have to a few things to correct. Like adding door pockets, check straps. I am still waiting for the fellow across from my work place (school) to make up a top boot and spare tire cover. He has had the material for over a year. The only big item I will always be trying to correct is to find the correct top irons/sockets. We have in my town a man who still makes the steam bent top bows and has the correct form for mine. But many of these craftsmen are retiring and quitting the business.
 post-121302-0-98621600-1431787820_thumb.

• Like 1

Mark:

I already contacted John about making me a set. After several calls. He said he could not. He said if he had a set in the collection of old top sockets he may be able to work something up.  I already have a made up /cut down, incorrect set. At the same time I had inquired about doing a set for the 1923-55 that was advertised on the forum and the Bugle. (I was thinking hard about a big Sport Touring)! Just to see what a ballpark figure was. He did not seem interested. My guy here in Chambersburg quoted me a price for the bows for both cars. I guess he will make up a set  for mid 20s cars if you have a bad set.

So I keep on looking.