1924 Oldsmobile model 30B battery ground

Hello all, my grandfather bought a 1924 Oldsmobile Opera Coupe, it didn't come with a battery and although I know it is a six volt car, I don't know if it is positive or negative ground. Also, where is the serial number normally located? And the engine number? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Vintagecarguy.

Edited by Vintagecarguy (see edit history)

Another question I have is about the kind of Carburetor we have on the car. I know the original was a Zenith but they could be replaced. This car has a Marvel-Schebler TSXU-832 Carburetor on it. Before we start digging in and getting the car running, I wanted to know if this carb was worth keeping? Again thanks in advance. Vintagecarguy.

If you can get hold of a Standard Catalog of American Cars 1805-1942 I think it will have the serial number info. Most vehicles back then were registered by the engine number.

The Marvel carb would be worth keeping if you can't find the correct Zenith. If you find a correct carb, the Marvel was commonly used and would be an easy sale to someone else who needs one.

Check with the National Antique Olds Club www.antiqueolds.org and talk with their 1924 advisor. The NAOC guys are the most knowledgeable I've found on the prewar Oldsmobiles. I admit to being very weak in my knowledge of them.

If you can get hold of a Standard Catalog of American Cars 1805-1942 I think it will have the serial number info. Most vehicles back then were registered by the engine number.

The Marvel carb would be worth keeping if you can't find the correct Zenith. If you find a correct carb, the Marvel was commonly used and would be an easy sale to someone else who needs one.

Check with the National Antique Olds Club www.antiqueolds.org and talk with their 1924 advisor. The NAOC guys are the most knowledgeable I've found on the prewar Oldsmobiles. I admit to being very weak in my knowledge of them.

rocketraider,

Thank you. I have tried to contacted the National Antique Olds Club's 1923 advisor (they do not seem to have a 1924 advisor) but have not heard back from them yet. I will have to check into the book you mentioned. As for the Carburetor are there any issues with the Marvel-Schebler? I know a rebuild kit is available. Do you know if the Olds would have been positive or negative ground? Thank you again for the information.

Vintagecarguy.

Now after looking around some more, I have to ask about the spark advance. I know it is slightly out of what is normal. When I pull the spark lever all the way down (about the six o'clock position) the distributor turns counter clockwise (while sitting in the driver's seat) and when the spark lever is pushed back up (to about the three o'clock position) the distributor turns clockwise. What I do not understand is which way is the spark advanced? I remember reading somewhere that with the spark lever up the spark is advanced and with the spark lever down the spark is slowed. But because the lever has a set screw, and the car has not run in many years, I do not know if this was changed. This sounds very confusing, if I can clear anything up please let me know. Thanks in advance (no pun intended!!!),

Vintagecarguy.