Exhaust Manifolds on my 55 Super with a V-8 322

Tony M

Hello again ALL. While I was dropping everything to replace the oil pan gasket I came across another " I might as well do this while I'm this far" This time it was removing the exhaust manifolds while the crossover pipe was removed. I saw this crack on the passenger side while I was under the car. ALL of the bolts were loose so that was a good thing. They were easy enough to get out since I made room . As you can see by the pictures, the manifold is not only cracked, but it seems that it is missing a lot of meat on the one flange. Can the crack be repaired ? Is the one port that is lacking some of the surface mating material something that I should be concerned with ? Or is that a common issue ? Also, I have been reading a lot of information that recommends NOT using a gasket for the manifold to head connection. What is the consensus on this subject ? The surface of both the heads and the manifolds seem to be pretty flat and true. Thanks again....Tony M.

post-101800-143143058745_thumb.jpg

post-101800-143143058769_thumb.jpg

post-101800-143143058789_thumb.jpg

I would look for another manifold. I think the crack will be hard to seal, but the one with the skimpy flange will probably work ok. as for the gaskets, you can always try it without em first. If it works then that's how they were originally installed. But in my limited experience I have found you always need the gaskets unless you take the heads and the manifolds to a machine shop and have the surfaces milled to perfection.

Just curious about the theory of no exhaust manifold gaskets. What was the reasoning behind the recommendation to leave em out?

The first I remember hearing about not using gaskets was from Russ Martin's website. I have used gaskets and had no problems. The last engine I did I used only high temp silicone. The silicone (if used sparingly) looks better than the big gaskets.

How is that for a non-answer?

Guest DiXiEnailhead

I think I have a spare manifold for 20.00 if interested. You can weld cast iron but it just doesn't bond as well as it would with steel. The vibration and expansion/contraction of the iron as a result of the heat will eventually lead to a crack forming again.

Until you find another manifold, you can get some service out of that one with JBWeld in the crack, gaskets with high temp RTV. anti-seize on all nuts and bolts and re-torque after every use for a few times. I had one that looked like that in service for 60,000 miles...had a hard time finding my spare :(.

• 2 weeks later...