1935 Buick Model 58 Victoria Coupe

tonyp

considering selling my buick.will not be advertised on craigslist or ebay for now but very possibly by the first of april(just did my taxes).I searched the net for several years after regretfully selling a 32 caddy project before I bought this car and I consider it a very nice project in many ways.i've had it about a year and as things go after all that searching and settling on this buick a 31 caddy popped up on craigslist about 5 months ago and I bought it and it will not be for sale.the buick has an older repaint which is now crackled on the body/hood/grill shell.it is missing the lr side glass(vent window is there) and shade 1 gas tank strap is broke(twisted off at the end)also missing rr inner fender bracket and wiper motor.the trippe lights are no longer on the car and not included.i do have 1 nice one that goes with the car.it now has a full set of nice repro caps I still have several originals..i drove it around the mans lot and on/off a car trailer to my garage when I bought it.ran good but carb leaks after you turn it off probably needs rebuilt.engine is straight 8 looks correct but I think the block may be a 33 or 34.running off a small gas tank now as the orig has some pinholes after soaking.interior is mostly re-done and out of car.i removed the headliner to clean/paint inside of roof and inspect the wood which is in very good shape.removed/cleaned and painted metal floor boards and top of frame and re installed.very nice wood and metal on this car the only rust repair I found is at the very bottom of the rockers where they fold inward above the running boards.running boards are very nice.fenders have bondo.I haven't started it in a few months and post-64925-143142978821_thumb.jpgthought I would post here before going to ebay or craigslist with it as there are several things i'll want to do before then.while there is no such thing as an easy project this car has a lot going for it .I'm looking for 16500 now but may do some tinkering and interior work and ask more before listing if I keep it I will be keeping it original however they do make awesome streetrods due to their design from the factory.thanks for input or interest,tony patterson

post-64925-143142978816_thumb.jpg

thanks.that is why I posted here.i'm not really eager to sell it and may very well decide to keep it as this body style is not plentiful to say the least.i would not even be considering it had I not bought the 31 caddy.so its not a must sell and the price is not cheap/a giveaway/or some great flipping opportunity but is within the realm of reasonable in my eye for this car after looking at many other 30s model cars.i can only imagine the flood of trade offers from a craigslist add and i'd hate to see it rodded or even worse someone start rodding it that never finishes it and it ends up ruined only to be sold in boxes down the road after the owner passes.

tonyp,

You have a very beautiful and very desirable car with great style and class.

In spite of all the repairs, gas tank, carburetor work, window glass, paint, wiper motor, bondo in the fenders, paint, etc that your Buick needs, and all of the other things that will be discovered as you (or someone else) will find which need repair, this car is, in my opinion, more valuable than your price would indicate.

Sure, to get everything in correct and really nice condition could easily run several tens of thousands, and will take an extended time to take the car down for proper restoration and repair. My 1934 Model 57 is essentially the same car in a 4-door sedan with covered sidemounts and a factory trunk on the rack. Mine was absolutely complete, never damaged/rusted/rotted and in excellent running and driving condition, and the restoration ran well over that. I probably have $85-90,000 in mine, and yes, it was judged to AACA Grand National Senior recognition - but if I were to actually sell it right now I would be considering my self happy to get back something in the range of $60,000, and would likely have to settle for a bit less.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do

post-54863-143142979864_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142979875_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142979886_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142979896_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142979906_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142979916_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142979928_thumb.jpg

thanks Marty,just what I was looking for a little input from some true buick folks.here's a few more pics.I had just got the floors back in and bought the hubcaps and was gonna take a little break from it when the caddy popped up for salepost-64925-143142980749_thumb.jpg

post-64925-143142980732_thumb.jpg

post-64925-143142980735_thumb.jpg

post-64925-143142980737_thumb.jpg

post-64925-143142980739_thumb.jpg

post-64925-143142980741_thumb.jpg

post-64925-143142980743_thumb.jpg

post-64925-143142980745_thumb.jpg

post-64925-143142980747_thumb.jpg

In pre-recession 2007, there was a model identical to Tony's

advertised in the Buick Bugle. It was supposedly a

near 400-point total restoration. The asking price was

originally $40,000; but as it remained unsold, the price

was lowered in subsequent issues to $37,500 and then

$35,000.

A dealer bought it, and immediately the asking price was

DOUBLE--around $62,000--what he probably paid for it.

Four years later, the dealer still had it, with his asking price

a smidgen below $50,000. I don't know whether

the dealer finally sold it, or just took it off the market.

Nice to see a '34-'35 Buick on the market: They're great

looking cars. If I ever found a hobbyist selling a

nice 60 series or 90 series club sedan, I'd be phoning him.

All the best to you in your sale!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

hi john,thanks for the info and marty,that's a great lookin car you have.this posting is probably as far as it will go as I'm getting sellers remorse already and haven't even had the first inquiry.lol.if no takers by the time it warms up some here-3 to 4 weeks-i'll probably go back to work on it and let the caddy sit for a while.

Thanks for the link, Tony. I'd want a club sedan

(or a 60 or higher series closed car in anything but a

regular sedan) in #3 or better condition. The example

on Craig's List may be reasonably priced, but it needs everything.

Mine would be for enjoying on tours, or sharing with people at shows,

irrespective of winning trophies. My car budget doesn't

allow for spending $100,000 or more on restorations!

Around the year 2000, I spoke to a hobbyist who had

advertised his 1934 Model 96-S sport coupe, a rare car,

in Hemmings. It was in #3 condition, and his asking price

was around $17,000. I had just spent a lot of money

for work on another car, so I passed. It turns out that

collector Nicola Bulgari eventually bought the car and

beautifully restored it. So that one is in good hands!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)