exhaust nuts

Guest JT

I'd use the stainless steel for the manifold to head. I use brass nuts were the exhaust pipe bolts to the manifold due to the rust factor but that's my personal preference.<P><BR>And Howard, <B>NO</B>, you don't win free KKs just buy answering a question from someone in NC. wink.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0<p>[ 09-04-2001: Message edited by: novaman ]

I too use brass nuts on the manifold studs. As hvs notes, they are soft. But I think that is the whole point: When you go to take them off they will yield as required to get past any corrosion. The nuts may be ruined and need to be replaced but you should not break or strip any studs.

Tod ~ I have always felt that the major reason for brass nuts on steel bolts is that the dissimilar metals will not rust or corrode into one solid lump. I have removed brass exhaust flange nuts from steel bolts after 35 years with no effort. A fella can gain a lot of experience by owning and working on a car for 50 years. smile.gif" border="0 <P>Even though I use them, I wonder if stainless nuts on carbon steel bolts will do as well after the same time period?<P>hvs

If I recall correctly, the parts book for my car shows brass nuts for that application. So if my car were being judged I could be dinged for not having them.<P>Since brass seems to work well (its hard to argue with nuts that work correctly after 35 years on a car) might as well stick to them. There is no particular reason to "up grade" that component.<P>The only issue I know of is that you cannot get 3/8-24 brass nuts from the local hardware store. On the other hand there are several vendors that you can mail order them from.<p>[ 09-05-2001: Message edited by: Tod Fitch ]

Thanks for answering a question that I never thought to ask. I always wondered why they sent brass nuts when I ordered my new exhaust system. <P>We always learn something new.<BR> as-spin.gif <BR>Thanks grin.gif" border="0