harmonic balencer broke, car wont start.

Guest grandprix gtp supercharge

Guest grandprix gtp supercharge

I recently got a grandprix gtp supercharge 99 . A loud clicking noise started and i was told the harmonic balencer is broken. I later tried taking the car up the street and when i tried starting it again, it would not turn on at all. The batterys fine and fuses seem fine too. The lights will turn on but the engine will not turn over. I looked up that it could be a crank shaft sensor not letting the engine start? If thats it..do i just replace the harmonic balencer with a new one and should it start again? ---please help

Welcome to the AACA Forum!

I think you will find specific help for this issue at the Grand Prixs of North America forum. http://www.gpona.com

Here is a link to the search results on the GPONA forum when I searched for "crank position sensor":

http://www.gpona.com/forums/search.php?keywords=crank+position+sensor&terms=all&author=&fid[]=13&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Based on your description, you might have a faulty crank position sensor or a bad ignition control module.

You need to follow a logical troubleshooting procedure to find the problem.

The best tool to start with is a GM Factory Service Manual for your car. Don't bother with the Chilton's or Motor manuals; they are not specific enough.

For the later model GM cars, I have found the DVD versions to be very helpful; they are usually available on eBay and from other online sources for under $40.

Good luck!

Edit:

I just remembered another (and IMO, better) Grand Prix forum.

It is http://www.grandprixforums.net

I was active on that forum when I had my 2000 GTP; lots of good tech help there.

Here are the results of a search for "crank position sensor": http://www.grandprixforums.net/search.php?searchid=2855011

If you don't have a scanning tool, you should borrow or rent one.

Diagnosis and repair of these computer-controlled vehicles is very difficult, costly and time-consuming if you don't have the proper diagnostic equipment.

Edited by 95Cardinal
added second forum and scanner comments (see edit history)

A scanner is your best friend with late model cars. It will zero in on the area of the engine to work on.

The probable fix as 95Cardinal states is a new harmonic balancer and a crankshaft position sensor.

You will need to be certain that the location of the sensor is accurate so it does not hit the reluctor wheel (fins) on the back of the harmonic balancer or you will need another sensor and maybe a new balancer.

There is usually a lot of corrosion in these cars at the ground terminal on the engine. That would stop the engine from turning over, along with several other maladies. Another thing to look for is corrosion at the positive terminal on the battery. Older 78 series batteries have been known to leak acid at the positive terminal and corrode that connection.

Note: not turning over to me means the starter does not spin the engine at all, regardless if the engine starts or not.

if the engine does spin with the starter then the 2nd problem could be corrosion on and in-between the parts of the bracket that holds the coil packs and ignition module to the engine. It is a 2 piece bracket in cars older than yours. Yours may be the same but I don't have direct knowledge of that.

Lastly, if the harmonic balancer spun off center then it could have broken the crankshaft sensor. The sensor rides between two vanes on the balancer and the slightest wobble in the balancer could cause it to hit the sensor physically. There is a inexpensive sensor alignment tool which will be needed to make sure it does not happen again.

BTW, that harmonic balancer bolt is a bear to get off. If you want any tips on how to do that please let us know.