Antique Oldsmobile Car Co Wooden Sign

Guest HVG

I'm looking for some experts who may be able to help provide information regarding this awesome wooden sign I found. It's made of all wood, with a nice painted scene of a gentleman with handlebar mustache and yellow scarf riding in an Oldsmobile. The sign has a raised car made from wooden and flattened metal tacked down. A little rough around the edges, but definitely has all the appropriate wear that would make me think that this dates to the early 1900s. With that said, has anyone seen anything like this, or know where this might have been displayed? (I'm guessing a dealership). Any confirmation on the model of the Olds? Any information or your educated opinions would be appreciated!

Many thanks!

Adam

post-104366-143142826396_thumb.jpg

Edited by HVG (see edit history)

Just to clarify, the car itself is made from assembled pieces of raised wood, metal flashing, and wire (some pieces are missing). Its extremely elaborate and well made. As I said, I think all the wear, and age on the paint/flaking, make this old. How old, I'm not sure, but it appears to be legit. Were there ever any original signs of this type in earlier dealerships, or were they all porcelain?

Guest AlCapone

There were two stands at Hershey with very similar signs. Not saying identical but they looked vey very old but they were made within the last year. Thr one vendors name is Devon and he is making me a Model A sign. Wayne

Your first clue to authenticity, or otherwise, is the name, "Oldsmobile Car Co.". The name of the company that produced Oldsmobiles was the, "Olds Motor Works", from its inception as a carmaker, through the GM buyout, and until January 1, 1942, when the name was formally changed to the, "Oldsmobile Division, General Motors Corporation". Technically, there never has been a manufacturer called the Oldsmobile Car Company, so the sign wouldn't have been anything officially issued for dealers or advertising. Also, calling it that would have sidestepped any legal or copyright problems using the actual company name.

It reminds me of the '60's-'70's wall art you'd see at a Shakeys Pizza Parlor, or barber shop, or a home rumpus room. Kitschy (I mean that in a good way), made to look "antique" and reminiscent of a bygone era.

Two words..."K-Mart Art". The kind of thing you use as filler or give away to someone who you think might like it more.

Enjoy it, or pass it along,

TG

PS, Note the small print, bottom left, on this page from the 1936 Oldsmobile brochure.

By the 1939 brochure's printing in late-'38 (perhaps earlier), they were using the name, "Oldsmobile Division General Motors...", but didn't make it official till 1/1/42.

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

Adam,

Welcome, by the way, to the AACA Forums. Thanks for asking for our insight and/or opinions on your sign. I saw the signs at Hershey that Wayne mentioned, and the fact that such nostalgic items are currently being produced means that there's still a market for them.

To echo what Matt said above, I just hope you didn't pay too much for it.

TG

Yes, welcome to the forum! Do you own any antique automobiles, or are you just interested in them?

There's a decent article on real versus fake signs here: http://www.ebay.com/gds/Antique-and-Vintage-Signs-Is-it-a-Find-or-a-Fake-/10000000001628751/g.html

As mentioned, a lot of theme restaurants drove the market for signs, and there are LOTS of reproductions out there. Note two things in this article, first, it's easy to make something look "old", it's been done with whole automobiles, second, a truly old object has "soul", and this sign just doesn't have it. Hard to define soul, it's very like the feeling one gets when they see a truly righteous antique car, you just KNOW it's correct and real.....

Hang it on the wall and enjoy it, but it's no pot of gold.....