correct gas tank finishes

impala

In a previous post I asked about the correct under floor pan finish and factory undercoating and got an informative reply from Rick and rascar66.<BR>My next project is the correct finish on the gas tank. Speaking of a 61 Impala does anyone know if the gas tanks were installed before or after the cars had the red "Corlar" applied. If before,would the tank have just the Corlar overspray on it? Or would it be totally covered. Also, would the tank have any undercoat on it? Has anyone ever used the Eastwood zinc spray coating to simulate the original tank appearance.<BR>Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,<BR>impala

I've used Eastwoods detail gray and cadmium spray paints. They are good paints. However, I read in one of my antique auto restoration guides that spray painting the gas tank a light primer gray and then using an ordinary sponge to sponge apply "aluminum" silver color enamel paint (bought by the pint or quart at any hardware store) simulates the galvanizing of original gas tanks very closely. However, I haven't tried it myself.

John,<P>I'd hazard a guess that this method would accurately "simulate" most galvanizing processes. The guide from which I'm quoting is a generic auto restoration guide. I would recommend testing the method on some scrap metal before applying, both for practice of the technique, and for comparison purposes.<P>Jim M

Thanks for the tip, Jim. I'm definately going to try that process on a piece of sheet metal first. When I first took my car apart I think the sheet metal directly behind the tank was bare which sort of makes me believe the tank was installed before the underside of the body was coated. In that case you would think the tank would wind up covered with red Corlar. Hope someone has the answer.<BR>Thanks,<BR>impala

Impala,<P>I'm not sure if you're still seeking answers to your questions, but yes the fuel tank was added afterwards and remained bare galvanizied. Undercoating would have been applied or oversprayed only by a dealership prior to delivery. I know of no correct finishes in a can, but I know of many acceptable finishes that have been used in AACA judging. Try what Jim M has offered, as that I would like to see myself. <BR>One thing I question and I'm curious about, is what overall condition is or was the tank in when you started. When ever I know a new replacement tank is available, I lean towards that and save in time and cost in the long run of cooking it out, repairs and refinishing. Your tank is available new for around $200.00<P>Rick

Yes Rick, I was still seeking answers and I appreciate your input.<BR>To answer your question, my tank was junk but I picked up an excellent one almost for nothing. It may look fine with a good cleaning - don't know yet. If I do the sponge technique I'll report the results.<BR>Thanks,<BR>impala