Can I remove these bolts for detailing?

Seafoam65

On my 1965 Riviera, when you open the door and look at the inside area of the door in front of the

vent window assy, there is a screw or bolt with a very large washer on it. I would like to remove these(one on

each door) for detailing and reinstall them. If I remove them will something fall out inside the door creating

a disaster requiring removal of the outer skin or can they be removed and installed without any consequence?

Thanks, Winston

I think there's a nut on the unseen side of that screw post with the slot in the end of it. The other end of the post screws directly into the vent window frame. I'm pretty sure that you can take the nut and washer off and not upset the adjustment of the vent window. Just don't turn the screw post. Use a small screw driver to keep it from turning while you remove the nut and washer. My vent windows are exposed and if you can wait a day, I'll be in the shop tomorrow and can tell you for sure.

Ed

I think there's a nut on the unseen side of that screw post with the slot in the end of it. The other end of the post screws directly into the vent window frame. I'm pretty sure that you can take the nut and washer off and not upset the adjustment of the vent window. Just don't turn the screw post. Use a small screw driver to keep it from turning while you remove the nut and washer. My vent windows are exposed and if you can wait a day, I'll be in the shop tomorrow and can tell you for sure.

Ed

Thanks Ed, I'll wait for you to check and make sure it's OK to remove them.

Ed is correct. Just be sure the stud does not turn as this will want to affect the vent frame adjustment. Chances are this will not happen as, although turning the nut counterclockwise will translate into the stud, the stud will jam against the door frame.

Tom

Ed is correct. Just be sure the stud does not turn as this will want to affect the vent frame adjustment. Chances are this will not happen as, although turning the nut counterclockwise will translate into the stud, the stud will jam against the door frame.

Tom

Thanks everyone for the help. I removed the nut/washer assemblies, detailed and reinstalled them without any drama, another item off the check list!