1942 Ford Black outl horn button

edhd58

I was browsing Ebay the other day for '42 Ford parts. I ran across what the advertiser said was a black out model horn button. It has bumps on the sides where the horn ring should be attached, and you can tell nothing was broken of. Thing is, it looks exactly like my Ford horn button, but as far as I know mine isn't a black out model. My car is black but the trim looks like any other car. Anyone have any ideas??

19tom40 is correct. There's no such thing as a "black out model horn button". The "bumps on the side" are there to help assist in removing this type horn button if stuck. (push it in while turning CCW). A typical mechanic would use a hammer and screwdriver tip on the bumps to break it loose which will damage the cosmetics if not done carefully.

1942 trim came in chrome/stainless steel, zinc plated, and finally painted trim depending on when the car was built. The zinc plate or painted trim 42's are considered "blackout" models.

Am I to assume one of these is for the Super Deluxe? Both say they are for the 42, and in some

of my parts supplier catalogs theyonly show the one with the ring as being for the '42. post-90054-143142719477_thumb.jpg

This last photo is of the one in my car, it's a plain jane Deluxe model, no trim on the fenders, the grill surround is painted. post-90054-14314271948_thumb.jpg

post-90054-143142719479_thumb.jpg