1964 Cadillac convertible-Former Showcar-Now fire damaged.

I am offering for sale my own personal 1964 Cadillac convertible. This former show car burned while I was driving from Ohio to California. The car is now back in Cleveland and can be viewed there. I am asking $4,500 for the remains of my car. While I understand it seems expensive it truly isn't. Before the fire I had totally restored this truly RUST FREE car. All new chrome. Rebuilt engines and ancillaries. A perfect rust free body and frame. Actually this car was sold new in Middle Tennessee and still had the factory paint marks on the undercarriage. So if you are thinking about restoring a 1964 Cadillac the value of the chrome alone is equal to my asking price. Please e-mail me and I will send detailed photos of the car. Thanks, Adam Ross 216-470-2146 or adamross92264@yahoo.com

Hello, Yes it is the same car. The high bidder never contacted me. While I have sold on Ebay for some 16 years I have had dreadful luck both buying and selling cars. Either non-payers when I sell, psychotic buyers with unreasonable demands or when I buying sellers who outright lie, cheat or misrepresent their own cars.

BTW I grew up with Wankel powered Mazda's. How nice is your RX-4? Adam

My Rx-4 was quite nice at least it was when I sold it back in 1983. It had new paint and I rebuilt the engine. It was the first and only one I ever owned. I bought it as a curiosity project back in 1979 for a $100. The hardest part about rebuilding it was finding someone to do the machine work for the engine.

Adam, I'm so sorry for your loss. I read your story on the ebay post and that is awful. I'm not sure I understand what happened? Was there a fuel leak? Did the tire somehow destroy the fuel line and cause spark? That had to be horrible to watch. Was that interior factory? It sure seemed to burn fast. I hope you get something back - the car looks good cowl forward.

I read the eBay post, too. If I had to guess, I'd say it was a wheel bearing fire (or possibly a dragging brake) based on the difficulty in putting the fire out. Fire extinguishers will not put out grease fires... well, technically they'll put the fire out, but as soon as more oxygen is introduced, the fire lights right back up again because the metal is so hot. This is why they say it's important to carry liter-bottles of diet un-colas (no sugar). You can shake them up so you can direct the spray, and the liquid will cool the metal.

The tire blew because of the build up of heat.

Sorry to read of the loss of such a nice car. Glad to hear that you survived.