Classic Tires--asking on behalf of a friend...

My friend asked me for some help regarding recommendations for obtaining classic tires. While I am satisfied with who I have purchased several sets of tires over the years, and made my recommendations to him accordingly, he would like to obtain feedback, both pro and con.

What I DON'T want to do is create a blank-storm when it comes to any "negative" experience, as I really do not want to disparage any supplier, particularly based upon one anecdotal bad experience. If there is something alarming that I should "now about" to pass along, I'd prefer a private message sent to my e-mail at mcibulas@neo.rr.com.

Specifically, he's looking at a one-inch whitewall that would be common to early-1960s GM products, particularly '62-'64 Oldsmobile. The tires would be 8.50 x 14 or 9.00 x 14 (bias play), or the commensurate 225/75/14 and 235/75/14 radial, respectively. It is important to have a one-inch whitewall not flush against the rim, for the proper look, and the preference here is toward radials.

Again, any positive recommendations, provided with a short explanation why, and negative ones can be included if they are leavened with perspective and mild critique; otherwise, I'd prefer a PM if there is some venting that needs to be done!!

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Mike,

I use the bias ply's on my big Chevys 8.00 X14 no problems, I just like the way the car sits on them One thing I did learn is that the tires are not made by the manufacturer listed on the tire, but rather by a manufacturer who licenses the name, sort of the same thing as the reproduction batteries. They are also limited selection as far as the brand name of the tire and the size of the white wall. I am about to put the third set on my 60 Chevy in 25 years. There the obvious handling advantages to the radials, the car is seldom in a situation where that is a factor. The bias plys are a little more money and wear faster. Price wise all of the vendors are about the same. You can save on shipping by picking up at a swap meet, however pay in advance prior to pick-up to avoid having to pay state sales tax. Good luck, I hope this was a help

Mike, as you know finding a large 14" tire is not easy. I would recommend Diamondback Classics in SC for a modern radial as they can duplicate any white (or red, gold or blue) stripe sidewall. But that's provided they can get a suitable size casing.

I haven't heard any real bad press over any of the repro tire vendors though I do remember some of the Buick folks had some problems with one company's early radial products. Bound to think the company got the issues resolved.

I look at it this way. Even though bias tires don't last as long as radials (never did FTM, 15000 miles on a set of tires was considered very good back in those days), the 60s cars were designed to use them, and with a front end in good repair and aligned correctly, the car should drive and handle as it should. And the car will look right.

Mike, as you know finding a large 14" tire is not easy. I would recommend Diamondback Classics in SC for a modern radial as they can duplicate any white (or red, gold or blue) stripe sidewall. But that's provided they can get a suitable size casing.

I haven't heard any real bad press over any of the repro tire vendors though I do remember some of the Buick folks had some problems with one company's early radial products. Bound to think the company got the issues resolved.

I look at it this way. Even though bias tires don't last as long as radials (never did FTM, 15000 miles on a set of tires was considered very good back in those days), the 60s cars were designed to use them, and with a front end in good repair and aligned correctly, the car should drive and handle as it should. And the car will look right.

]

Glenn,

Great to hear from you--we have a lot of catching up to do. As for myself, I am pretty much going to just keep the bias-plys on the Starfire, as it is "correct", and as has been pointed out, the driving conditions I utilize the car in, I can pretty much handle.

I had heard about Diamondback being able to manufacture any size and color of whitewall; the confirmation from you I will pass along.

Shoot me an e-mail sometime, like I said, got a lot of catching up to do!

Take care,

Mike