new brake drum problem 68 Lasabre

Guest bugsy1955

Guest bugsy1955

Hello Again,

Ok. I received the new brake drums from CARS, Inc. Dropped them off at the machine shop with the old ones to have the hubs and studs switched. Just got a call. The new drums are full cast iron thus are thicker than the old ones. This does not allow the original studs to protrude enough to be swaged.

Has anyone experienced this problem before?

Please help! Tony is desperate to drive his new baby!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest bugsy1955

That is what I said! When I spoke with him he did mention that he figured he would check with me to see if I could get new studs from CARS so maybe he just wanted to see if there were specific studs for the drums??? The only other thing I can think of is that he described the process of putting them on and how the extra thickness of the drum prevented the machine from being able to swage the studs to the drums???

Does this make sense to anyone? I am using the machine shop associated with my local NAPA.

Nope John, you did it right. I just figured that as long as he had the hub & drum at the shop, they could install the correct length studs. Being attached to a NAPA this should be easy. Barring the machine shop participating in the solution, you could call CARS and see if they have a solution to this problem. Seeing how the car is over 45 years old a PO could have done anything to the brakes as I would think they have been worked on several times over the years and miles.

Guest bugsy1955

Finally the brake overhall is complete and the LeSabre is on the road. Lucky me I finished the brakes and got her inspected today as Tony decided to go away for the weekend. She drives beautifully other than a slight hesitation at times when hitting the gas hard.

The new brake drums are a bit thicker. The machinist did a great job with the front drums and it was a pleasure being able to stop in a straight line! It seems the studs on the back are a bit short. I checked the manuals but do not see anything about replacing the studs for the rear wheels. From what I found, it sounds like the axels may need to be pulled to replace them. Is this the case?

Thanks as always!