3 shades of gray

Guest clamshells

ROA members who attended the meet in Colorado Springs this year got to see Gord's fabulous '65. Newly chromed rally wheels and the triple stirpe white side wall tires looked outstanding on his triple black '65. No wonder it took best in class. They weren't the only thing that was classy about Gord's ride, but they surely did add to the authenticity of his car.

Ed

Guest clamshells
The wait on Rally America is worth it, isn't it Mike? When I found the triple stripes I had to have them too. Looks very sharp.

Rock On

gord

Worth every minute.

The wheels turned out fantastic. I have a question: Are the aluminum hubs painted the same color as the wheels centers or did you do that to match? If you matched that's cool if not was the factory aluminum hubs raw metal?

The wheels turned out fantastic. I have a question: Are the aluminum hubs painted the same color as the wheels centers or did you do that to match? If you matched that's cool if not was the factory aluminum hubs raw metal?

When the car was delivered, the front brake drums were natural aluminum. They can be media blasted to make them look "new" again. Some guys have polished them but that seals the porosity of the aluminum and the natural cooling properties are lost. If you'd like for the entire car to look the same front and back, you can install aluminum drums on the rear. You have to use '56 era Buick backing plates, then you can use the wider front shoes that go along with the aluminum drums. It takes some machining of the drums but when it's all said and done, it looks really good.

Ed

Guest clamshells

I know they should be "raw" for maximum heat displacement but I painted them with a silver caliper paint the contrast between the drums and the wheel webs doesn't show in the picture.

Guest clamshells
My idea is: at one time the rocker, clams and wheel web charcoal paint all matched but over time they faded to produce 3 shades of gray. I'd like to eventually paint all trim backgrounds rockers, clamshells and wheel webs the same gray. Goldie's wheels are almost ready, I need to make the one time call on the shade of gray.

Dick, Tom and Gord please provide your 0.02. Any and all supporting facts and opinions welcome.

Thanks guys,

Mike

Fast forward: I have determinde the clams, rockers and wheel webs were not the same color and varied by plant, build date, vendor or simply batches of paint. Some cars look great with all matching trim like Gord's triple black 65. IMNSHO the lighter color cars look better with the recesses different shades/tones of grays. One car that solidified my taste was a white 65 on Ebay with all black trim and bumpers...........YUK! Just thinking out loud.