How to remove the top dash on a 57 century

Yohdda

Hello again,

So now I am trying to take the top dash panel off and I am having some trouble. First I removed all of the window trim above the dash piece, and the four bolts under that. Then I removed the screws under the top dash panel along the front. Is that all I have to do to remove that piece? I did notice a bolt right above the clock, but I am having a difficult time getting in there with a socket and was wondering if that was required to take out the dash?

Is there any other screws/bolts that I may be missing. I have tried to Google it, with no success, and the maintenance manual doesn't give me a detailed instruction on how to remove the dash except for (remove top dash panel).....

Any advice would be great!

Thanks!

Jason

Jason,

Under the curve of the dash, along the front there are screws that go up into the panel. they are along the uderside of the dash cover. I think there are 2 screws, maybe 4, but they are there. Once you remove them, you should be able to pull the dash cover off. Be careful not to tear the vinyl on the dash supports (the vertical chrome pieces) as you remove the dash cover. Also, when removing the speaker, be careful with the speaker cover and the special fasteners that holds it into the cover. Good luck!

Hi Jim,

I did find the 4 maybe 6 screws that screw under the top dash, into the padded section along the front chrome, but it still will not budge. I am thinking maybe the vinyl on the dash is sticking to the metal/chrome and creating a really good bond. I just didn't know if there were more screws hidden somewhere else, like up behind the dash or glove box or something. I think I may have to get some soap and work it in between the seams where the vinyl meets the other parts of the dash.

I will let you know how it goes tonight.

Jason

Jason,

Not that I know of. It could be the vinyl on the chrome trim, for sure. Only bolts that I know of are the ones along the windshield (4 or 6 3/8th bolts) and the screws on the underside. I would try to gingerly wiggle it back and forth, and also, take a plastic scraper or picnic knife and try to break the bond between the vertical supports and the dash pad. The soapy water will help as well. I will try to post some pictures of my dash removal tonight or tomorrow for you. Good luck!

I have the top dash off!!! It was just the vinyl sticking together with the other vinyl on the dash.... it just used a small... thin... pry bar all the way around the seams until it came loose! Now it is time for me to fix a few things, radio, speedo, and dash lights...

Thanks for the tips!