BUICK 28-20 SEDAN HELP

stuclipson

CAN ANYONE SUPPLY ME WITH SOME PICTURES OF THE CONTROL LINKAGE FROM THE STEERING COLUMN BOTTOM AND THE ACCELERATOR LINKAGE AND ADVANCE LINKAGE? I AM WORKING ON A CAR THAT HAD ALL THE CONTROLS TAKEN OFF AND WHO KNOWS WHAT WENT WHERE. I ASSUME THE LIGHT SWITCH WAS ALSO AT THE BOTTOM OF THE STEERING COLUMN ALSO? IF ANYONE IS IN THE CINCINNATI AREA THAT HAS A 28 BUICK THAT I COULD LOOK AT WOULD BE HELPFUL. THANK YOU STUCLIPSON1@FUSE.NET

Here are some pictures of a 26 or 27 but the 28 would be the same.

rod....thanks for the pics.......i think i saw them in a web search also.....is that a master six or a standard six?

i still need additional views of the accelerator hook up and the accelerator itself and light switch.

stuclipson, Those two photo,s are from a master, but the accelerator and advance/retard linkages are the same for the standard. This pic is from a 28 coupe in the for sale section of the forum. The shaft at the back of the motor is for the distributor advance/retard, the second lever is for the accelerator linkage. Don,t get confused by the carb, it is on the wrong way. The wiring for the horn and light switch come out at the bottom of the steering column.

post-64273-143142576017_thumb.jpg

post-64273-143142576017_thumb.jpg

thanks again rob.......anyone have a pic of the light switch and the advance, throttle gear mechanism that go on the end of the steering column? i think i have something missing there. again, thank you.

Stuclipson, here you go. The pics are from my 28-29. It has the splash pan on so I cannot get you a shot of the underside. You should be able to download the pics and then expand them in Picasa or picture s/w. Let me know if you need anything else.

thanks john...............okay, i have most of the linkage hooked up, however i seem to be missing the gears or whatever from the end of the steering column, i have the light switch and the linkage bracket with the quarter gears, don'r suppose there is a wiring diagram for one of these cars. i appreciate all your help

OK, here is the pic from the Buick Reference Book for 1928. This is a much smaller version of the Buick Shop Manual. However, the electrical diagram in the shop manual was from an older model, like 25 or 26, and did not contain the diagram for the light switch on the bottom of the column.

If this is your car, I would recommend that you get both. They are often available on Ebay as a reprint. Both are very valuable resources.

post-48480-143142577497_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142577497_thumb.jpg

OK, here is the pic from the Buick Reference Book for 1928. This is a much smaller version of the Buick Shop Manual. However, the electrical diagram in the shop manual was from an older model, like 25 or 26, and did not contain the diagram for the light switch on the bottom of the column.

If this is your car, I would recommend that you get both. They are often available on Ebay as a reprint. Both are very valuable resources.

thank you john............very helpful. where is a good part source for this vintage buick?

Just depends on what you need. There are a few vendors providing some basic ignition parts, brakes, clutches, etc. Bob's Automobilia and the Filling Station are two I use. Egge for engine internal parts. Best place to get used or NOS parts is the Buick buy/sell section of this forum. Ebay has some stuff too. Lots of folks know where parts are. You just have to ask on the forums.

Just depends on what you need. There are a few vendors providing some basic ignition parts, brakes, clutches, etc. Bob's Automobilia and the Filling Station are two I use. Egge for engine internal parts. Best place to get used or NOS parts is the Buick buy/sell section of this forum. Ebay has some stuff too. Lots of folks know where parts are. You just have to ask on the forums.

thanks for the source info...got lots of stuff on order from bob's.......in the meantime, how are the instruments mounted to the dash?

i have the bezel trim around the woodgrained panel, and the panel but do not have any thing to hold the gages. again, thanks

Hello, are you reconnecting the linkage between the firewall and gears at the base of the steering column or are you trying to index the levers/gears there. If it's the later be gentle because those bottom parts are made of junk zinc metal and there very brittle. BV 28-58

Hello, are you reconnecting the linkage between the firewall and gears at the base of the steering column or are you trying to index the levers/gears there. If it's the later be gentle because those bottom parts are made of junk zinc metal and there very brittle. BV 28-58

thanks for the warning vic..........i am installing all linkage and gears from scratch. everything had been removed and tossed in a box have new gears on order.

still trying to figure out what holds the gages in the dash. the fuel gage cable and spedometer cable may be a problem to find.

Hello, l Know what your up against, I rebuilt and rewired the bottom gears and switch . then the steering wheel levers. It takes a lot of drawing and thought transposing what motion the levers are going and the proper rotation of the gear. The steering column has 3 tubes inside each other and they have index notches to set your gears and levers to. Also leave the horn wire long and in the tube you'll want to repull that with the old wire.BV

hi vic.......i haven't oriented the gears yet as they are in route to me from the supplier. what i could really use are a few pictures of the firewall showing which holes the various wires pass through. also a picture of the inside of the firewall showing the location of the circuit breaker and a pic of behind the dash to show how the instruments were attached. i think i have most everything else figured out. famous last words cheers

Ok, here are pics of under the dash. The 28-29 is an original car and never has been restored. Let me know if you want close-ups of anything else.

thank you john the pics are great, would i be asking too much if you could take a couple of the engine side of the dash? also, i have a hole on the far left of the dash. what goes there? again, many thanks.....how do you like your XK-120? i have owned mine for 50 years now and love it.

Do these help? Taken from the driver's side door.

As for the Jaguar we have owned it for three years. We are the eighth owners, and I have managed to talk to six of them. Very interesting history. Folks love it and it always a hit at the car shows and tours. We use it a lot, almost every weekend and of course I have to exercise it at every opportunity. It is a driver quality car, but shows well.

post-48480-14314258326_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142583263_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142583265_thumb.jpg

Edited by unimogjohn (see edit history)

Do these help? Taken from the driver's side door.

As for the Jaguar we have owned it for three years. We are the eighth owners, and I have managed to talk to six of them. Very interesting history. Folks love it and it always a hit at the car shows and tours. We use it a lot, almost every weekend and of course I have to exercise it at every opportunity. It is a driver quality car, but shows well.

john....the pictures are perfect....great help, thanks love to see a pic of your 120. stuclipson1@fuse.net