Newbie barn find 63 later model ID numbers?

flh73

Hi,

Been searching a week or so regarding numbers from engine, trim, and vin. I think some more help is needed. My barn find is a 63 late model off white (stored in actual old dry barn). Mostly original, some options less others.

Supposedly 46k original miles. Second owner in the family car. Idniana and Michigan. Engine is a problem, not original numbers or color but the install looks original. Block is cracked lower water jacked by starter. In the cleaning and investigation stage. Some rust underside in usual areas. Couple of brake lines had been replaced, still shiny metal on those but original lines not so much.

Numbers? and should I replace block or have it repaired? Vinyl interior cleaned but stained from years of temp cycling without addressing. Any ideas on removing stains? Tried: cleaners, bleaches, chemicals with no results. I think I maybe at the dyeing point to cover stains.

Next step pull engine, complete tear down, clean and prep engine bay (going to stay original). Brakes including new lines, fuel lines and possibly fuel tank. Some minor suspension work. Etc etc etc.

oh check out washer fluid tank. Plastic with Buick molded into it. I thought should have glass bottle?

post-101131-143142573554_thumb.jpg

Newbie thanks for help

Gary

post-101131-143142573492_thumb.jpg

post-101131-143142573508_thumb.jpg

post-101131-143142573523_thumb.jpg

post-101131-143142573539_thumb.jpg

post-101131-143142573492_thumb.jpg

post-101131-143142573508_thumb.jpg

post-101131-143142573523_thumb.jpg

post-101131-143142573539_thumb.jpg

post-101131-143142573554_thumb.jpg

The Engine Serial Number states that the engine did come from another '63 - the letter J is the key to that. On the opposite side of where you found the Engine Serial Number you posted, look for a two letter code, should be a J and another letter - ignore the numbers associated with the letters. Here's some info based on the data tag. We'll do this for you once then expect that you'll be so thrilled knowing that all of the information is on the Riviera Owner's website, you'll put your $30 check in the mail today and join the ROA (link to the website and membership is in my signature.)

4D - built the 4th week (D) of April (4)

FB - 30,894 th Riviera built out of 40,000

J2 - power seat

736 - Sandalwood Vinyl

RR - Desert sand paint color - looks like you have a repaint if the white I see in the pictures is what you see in person

D - equipped for a radio

S8 - Remote side mirror

I6 - Tinted glass (It's an I not a 1)

N2 - air conditioning

U7 - power windows (not vents)

There are probably other options on the car that are not on the data tag. Those would be things like tilt wheel, four note horns, cornering lamps, etc. that were installed at the final assembly plant. Only options installed at the Fisher body plant are stamped into the data plate.

Search previous threads for ways to restore your interior or bite the bullet and go for these from Clark's Corvair.

http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog.cgi?function=goto&catalog=RIVIERA&section=RIVIERA&page=R-3

If you're really into it, you'll also want to search for threads on '63 Riviera engine color. The engine should be silver and the air cleaner is painted crinkle red with a big 445 Wildcat decal on it.

Ed

Thanks Ed,

I think I've seen you on here providing some information. Just kiding, YOUR ALL OVER THIS STUFF. How could you tell from that one picture it's been painted? Is the color used slightly different? I am going to check out the seats. I am not happy with the stains as they cleaned up nice other then the STAINS (sandalwood really). anyother color would have never shown these stains.

Yes it has tilt, nice and tight, remote mirro, four note horn, corner lamp? good chrome and most of the things operate (needs addressed, clock, rear window switches, radio).

Oh yeah hit link and signed up online for ROA. heading there next.

Thanks again

If it would have been a white car, the paint code would have been AA. RR is the desert sand color.

Below is a link the shows the color chips and codes for the 1963 Buicks. As you can see, desert sand is not very white. More like the color of sand in the desert. Har, har!! By the way, I think that the code 736, Sandstone, is a really good color; not white but not saddle. Nice light color that goes with everything.

Ed

http://automotivemileposts.com/riviera/paint1963riviera.html

Guest clamshells

Hi Gary,

Replace the block, they are around. Come to CA I'll give you a LW just so I can access my weedeater. The numbers matching means little to nothing until talking KX, LX or MZ nailheads. Looking at the rear quarter shot of your car looks pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...