Chrysler windsor deluxe 1951

Durkis

Hi there!

I'm a happy swede and a new member of this forum.

I own one of (I think) very few windsor deluxe-51 here in Sweden and there is not a whole bunch of people to ask things about my car, so I hope that you guys can give me some answers?. I hope you can apologize my english.

There is this thing when I stop at a traffic light and the gearbox will change down the interuptor? It's a bit too effective so the engine stalls, is there some tips on how to fix that? I tried to increase idlespeed but then it didn't shift as it is supposed to do.

So if anyone have any tips, guesses or answers I would be really happy

Otherwise I own one of the coolest cars in town.

Durkis

If you look in the Chrysler section of this board you will find a mountain of information about your car.

How fast is your engine idling? 400 RPM is recommended. The engine should be completely disengaged from the transmission at that speed. If the engine will not idle down a tuneup may be in order.

If it still won't idle down reliably do a compression test. Compression should be 120PSI on all cylinders but will run fairly well if compression is 100 + or - 10.

These engines are very well mannered. They will run quietly and smoothly in an advanced state of wear. The symptoms of wear are low oil pressure, low compression, hard to start, poor mileage, sluggish running and low power. Also will not idle down to 400 without stalling.

It is common to overhaul the engine in the car by regrinding valves and replacing piston rings. If engine is very worn it may have to come out for a complete rebuild.

Parts are available and not expensive. The engine is simple and not at all difficult to rebuild.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I dont know the idle speed but I think that it's a bit higher then 400rpm (my engine ear says that it's about 700 rpm) so I will try to lower it down a bit further. It starts fine even when it has been cold during the nights, oilpressure is really good, the mileage is about what the adverts from 1950 said it would be and it runs great and there is enough power to drive insanely fast but it's much nicer to drive at a speed of maybe 50-55 mph and it'sa very smooth ride. So I try to decrease the idle speed and hope that it will fix this issue.

Thanks again for the quick reply

Guest Commodore

One you should check is the operation of the carburetor dashpot. See photo for location of dashpot. It is the thing with two terminals on the upper left. Its job is to prevent a too rapid a return to idle position which could stall the engine. When the ignition switch is on the dashpot should be magnetic. It maybe not working, not hooked up or missing. Here is a description of the operation of Carter BB carburetor used by your Chrysler.

http://www.allpar.com/fix/fuel/carter-BB.html

And a photo.

$_57.JPG

Sometimes when I get to a traffic light and almost stand still the gear box want to change to third and I can hear a clonk and the engine shuts down for a blink of a second, but sometimes it just stalls. It's not a big problem I just push the starter and it fires up in a half second, but it's a bit annoying. Today I will try to decrease the idle rpm and if that does it I will be glad otherwise I have to check the carb.

Thanks for the reply.

You may need to clean the contacts in the governor on the transmission. They can become dirty and oily. This causes the stalling you describe. If you do this be careful, the contacts are made of silver. Clean with brake clean spray or contact cleaner spray. Drag a piece of white typing paper between the contacts to clean and polish them.

For more information scroll down to Paragraph 13 in the section Traveling With The DeSoto Suburban. It describes the problem and the solution. Note that this only happened after many miles, and years of service.

http://www.allpar.com/cars/desoto/suburban-1951.html

Thanks alot, that was some nice reading.

Ok then I have to check the governor and clean it up, is that the thing that's beside the solenoid on the gearbox? Can I get to it from underneath the car or trough the floor?

It is on the right side of the gearbox. There is an access panel in the floor or you can get at it from under the car. There are 3 electrical controls, the governor is the only one that can be taken apart. It would be easiest to get at it from under the car, if you have a hoist or a good jack and jack stands.

Hi again and thank you for all your tips.

I decreased the idle rpm and took out the carpet and opened up the access panel so I could get to the governor, I cleaned it and used a piece of typing paper to clean the contacts. 10 minutes of work and the car drives so much better, I took it for a testdrive with lots of start and stop and it didn't stall once.

I'm a very happy swede tonight.

Durkis