67 Riviera Headlight Switch

CBloomberg

I need to replace the headlight switch in my Riviera. I understand the procedure is to push the little button on the switch and pull out the knob to get it out. My car has AC duct and so much stuff under the dash I can't even touch the back end of the unit. Is there a way to do this without removing the entire dash? The service manual didn't mention the access issue. Thanks for any help!

Chuck,

You might try removing the lower metal left dash valance. Pry the long curved horizontal divider chrome strip off (held on by spring clips) to access the screws on the top of the valance. Bottom screws are obvious. This should allow you to to access the release button.

There is no easy way to get in there - small hands and being a midget with double joints will make the job easier. Remove your watch, and any jewelry.

Lay on your back, with as much of your head up and behind the dash, along with a good light source to see what your up against - a pillow will help to support your neck !

Be sure you reinstall the switch lighting harness ground washer (...if a '67 has one), I'm going by my '68 which has a plastic dash panel insert and the ground washer gets sandwiched between the metal switch housing and plastic screw in retainer. The parking brake bracket was also directly below the headlight switch as an added obstacle to work around.

A 'PITA' job for sure !!