Carb Rebuilder Needed

hddennis

Well I spent the last two days exhausting all my knowledge and skill on trying to get this &%#$%&&% K D Type B carb on my 1917 Maxwell to work, I've tried multiple carbs, reset float, leaned and richened mixtures and it runs a few seconds and seems to flood out the plugs and quits. Just had the final straw as it seemed to popost-33891-143142514438_thumb.jpgp and blew out my new headgasket. I'm done, does anyone know someone who can build me a carb that has been test run and will guarantee it to work?

Howard Dennis

post-33891-143142514438_thumb.jpg

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)

The K & D wasn't the world's greatest carburetor. If they were ever used on anything except a couple of years of Maxwell, I have never found evidence of additional usage.

Maxwell used some other obscure carburetors (Zephyr, Johnson, and Eagle) before going to Zenith and Stewart in the early 1920's.

The Zenith was an excellent carburetor in its day, but time has caused the zinc alloy venturi to "grow" which has cracked the cast iron housing on virtually all of the ones used by Maxwell.

The Stewart was and is an excellent carburetor. If I owned a Maxwell, and wanted to drive it with an "original" carburetor, the Stewart is the one I would use.

There are also some excellent aftermarket carburetors available.

Jon.

Vacabill, Thought all my problems were solved by your post until they sent me this" I recommend you contact Daytona Parts Co in New Smyrna Beach FL. They specialize in the more obscure antique carburetors.<o:p></o:p>

Thanks

Curtis

Bet they won't be able to help or it will require a re-mortgage.

Howard Dennis

• 2 weeks later...