Rear window Chrome Trim Question

Guest dwhiteside64

Guest dwhiteside64

I was wondering if the piece of ribbed chrome running along the lower rear window was painted black with a chrome boarder? Mine has hints of a dark paint but has worn off over time. Any ideas of how it looked originally when new?

Guest clamshells

The trim piece on my 65 below the rear window is in fact black inside the border of chrome and raised chrome "fins".

So yes it should be painted black with a chrome border and fins.

Guest clamshells

post-98889-143142513654_thumb.jpg

Best pic I have right now. See the trim between the trunk lid and the body.

Click on the pic it should get bigger.

I recently refurbished mine on my '63. I used Duplicolor semi-gloss black spray and masked off the outside edges, let dry completely, and then used 000 grade steelwool to remove the paint from the ribs. It took some time (and a pair of cheater eyeglasses) but it turned out well.

Guest dwhiteside64
I recently refurbished mine on my '63. I used Duplicolor semi-gloss black spray and masked off the outside edges, let dry completely, and then used 000 grade steelwool to remove the paint from the ribs. It took some time (and a pair of cheater eyeglasses) but it turned out well.

Ah ha! very good idea Jan. Thanks :cool:

I just redid mine. Another option is to use 3M 1/8" blue masking tape. First, I had mine chromed. Second I taped it with the 1/8" tape, which takes time, but I think is worth it. Third, I hit it with Rustoleum satin black. Finally, I chased away any small overspray with a clean rag dripped in MEK substitute. To my eyes, it looks awesome. PRL

Guest onedesertdog

Hi All,

Since we are on the subject, sort of.......

I'm getting ready to install mine also. What are you using in place of that old gookempucky around the holes to seal it?

Would a clear RTV work ok?

Thanks,

Buddy

Rather than repainting those inserts, you can also get some black vinyl trim strips 'custom pre-cut' to the correct size at a local sign shop, and use them to refurbish the painted areas.

I did this on my '68 many, many moons ago, to repair the lower black painted insert in the chrome moulding that runs the full length of the car.

It looks as good now, as the day it was installed, with absolutely no fading, chipping, or any road rash !!

Guest dwhiteside64

Thanks guys for all the advice. I ended up masking off one rib at a time and spray painted it black. Looks factory now...:)