WTB - special bolt for '64/'65 window

RivNut

Gentlemen,

As I continue to uncover omissions by the previous owner of my car, I find myself in need of a special bolt. The bolt I need, along with the nut, and even more unique washer, is one of the ones that bolts the door glass to the channel.

It really doesn't have a head on it, but rather a large flange that is very narrow, the washer is plastic and is as big around as the flange on the bolt plus it has a nipple that goes over the threads and through the hole in the glass. The nut is probably just a regular nut, but I'd like to have a complete set.

The plastic washer is designed so that no part of the metal on the bolt comes into contact with the glass. When I took the skins off the door, that bolt was AWOL. As always, any help would be appreciated.

Reply here, or send me a PM or an email. If this all sounds confusing, let me know and I'll take a picture of one later today and add it to this post.

PS - You guys with the '63's can relax, the windows on the '63 are pressed into a channel rather than bolted to it.

Thanks,

Ed

Guest clamshells

Hi Ed,

post-98889-14314251363_thumb.jpg

Pulled this off my 65 parts car. The washer left the thread insulating piece behind every time. This is in fact the best one I could get off the car. If you don't find a better one let me know I'll send you this one.

CS,

Thanks for taking the time to photograph the bolt and post a picture of it. While I was at the shop today, I took a couple of pictures of one of mine; they're attached. Yours looks different and I can't picture in my mind how it would fit. Chances are it will work fine; I'd like to wait a couple of days and see what else might show up, but if nothing just like I have shows up, I'll be in touch.

Here's what mine looks like. It isn't necessary that the plastic washer can be removed from the bolt. If they're "one" that's fine. The bolt just needs to be insulated from the glass. I'd try to come up with something from the hardware store, but there's nothing there with the shallow head on the bolt that's needed for clearance.

Thanks,

Ed

post-50017-1431425150_thumb.jpg

post-50017-143142514955_thumb.jpg

post-50017-143142514979_thumb.jpg

Guest clamshells
CS,

Thanks for taking the time to photograph the bolt and post a picture of it. While I was at the shop today, I took a couple of pictures of one of mine; they're attached. Yours looks different and I can't picture in my mind how it would fit. Chances are it will work fine; I'd like to wait a couple of days and see what else might show up, but if nothing just like I have shows up, I'll be in touch.

Here's what mine looks like. It isn't necessary that the plastic washer can be removed from the bolt. If they're "one" that's fine. The bolt just needs to be insulated from the glass. I'd try to come up with something from the hardware store, but there's nothing there with the shallow head on the bolt that's needed for clearance.

Thanks,

Ed

[ATTACH=CONFIG]247913[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]247914[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]247915[/ATTACH]

Yours are not only different but in much better condition.

I'll probably have to make another trip "out west" to my secret stash* of old Rivieras and see what they have to offer.

Ed

* one '63 and one '64 that are pretty well picked over except for perhaps (hopefully) this kind of stuff.

Not that I know of, but that was the first thing I considered when I re-installed the one I took out for pictures. I really don't know how tight you could get it; there's no head on the bolt. The only thing you tighten against is the plastic washer between the bolt and the glass. A little friction, the nut starts to tighten, and you stop!

Guest carlbraun
Not that I know of, but that was the first thing I considered when I re-installed the one I took out for pictures. I really don't know how tight you could get it; there's no head on the bolt. The only thing you tighten against is the plastic washer between the bolt and the glass. A little friction, the nut starts to tighten, and you stop!

I may have one of those nut/bolt combos. Gerry out east sent me over a 65 window assembly for the chrome piece that i needed. I saved one or two of the bolts somewhere and will look for them later today.

Note that the bolt/washer on my Riv had good poly washers but the window I got from Gerry had remnants of RTV or some black rubber gasket maker of some sorts. I liked the idea so i placed a little bit of the black Permatex on the washers to prevent torque damage.

Also, I have a nice 65 LOF piece of clear NON_TINT glass (Front Driver I think) if someone needs it for a project. Nice shape but no bolts.

Cheers from smoky southern Cal

Carl

Guest carlbraun

I have two but they are slightly different that the ones in your pic...did they differ from 63/64 to 65?

pic to follow

i found two b

Good luck! I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Guest carlbraun

post-77544-14314252761_thumb.jpg

I have two but they are slightly different that the ones in your pic...did they differ from 63/64 to 65?

pic to follow

i found two b

post-77544-1431425276_thumb.jpg

I would imagine that there could be a difference between the 64 and 65, but it would be insignificant. I'll take the two that are shown in post #14. Send me a PM and we can work out the details.

In '63, the window glass was pressed into a channel rather than bolted to it.

Thanks for your perseverance.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)